back to article How can I make an old CPU SSE 2 compliant?

I’ve an old desktop that runs on an AMD Athlon XP2500+ and recently found I couldn't install new software because the CPU is not SSE 2 compliant. Barring changing the processor is there anyway of getting around the problem, perhaps with software? Chip Die 2

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

SSE2

Not Possible. period.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's possible

It is entirely possible to create an interrupt handler to intercept the op code exception, simulate the instruction, and return control.

However, the reason for using the instruction is performance, and the simulation will be significantly slower. In addition, there are no socket A CPUs that support SSE 2 (you will need at least a socket 754 processor).

You should consider upgrading your machine if this is an important consideration for you.

3. MattyB
    Thumb Down

Not on a Socket A processor

Wikipedia article here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

AMD's implementation of SSE2 wasn't until the AMD64 platform, which as the poster above pointed out requires at least a socket 754 motherboard.

4. Robert Hill
    FAIL

@macemoneta

NOT POSSIBLE - the simple reason that even if you COULD "emulate it in software via a handler", you still couldn't fool the SSE2 detection of the program, which checks for it probably by the CPU ID string, rather than trying to execute SSE2 instructions and see if they work.

And frankly, if you have hardware that is that old, the original poster is DUE an upgrade anyway, and it is probably FAR cheaper to put in a new mobo and processor than try to write an interrupt handler that won't work anyway.

OP: get a mobo, get a CPU, and transfer the rest of your system. MIght need new memory depending upon the mobo you choose. It's easy, and their are websites and books that point the way, use Google (which works without any SSE2 instructions!).

5. John PM Chappell

Well...

Custom interrupt handler is perfectly possible if the only way to run a piece of software is with SSE2 available and that software must be run on that CPU. In reality though, unless you fancy the challenge yourself or are prepared to pay someone to write it, you're looking at a much more sensible option of replacing the hardware or using other software.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Patch it, if can't do, upgrade hardware!

There are some (not many though) companies / software that officially / unofficially offer a 'no SSE2' compile version. I don't know what software you want to install but Google is your friend, see if there is a replacement DLL or a patch or something that you can download.

Otherwise - upgrade the hardware. People are starting to throw away older P4 systems where I am, they have SSE2. Shame I know, but AthlonXPs are getting old.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like