back to article Facebook swipes user's vanity URL

Facebook's recently introduced vanity URLs may be a handy function for many, but the offer to distinguish users' profiles with names rather than numbers is not unconditional. Defence systems engineer David Lloyd was pleased to be able to adopt the nickname 'squaresheep' to distinguish his Facebook profile from those of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

MEANIES!

GIVE HIM HIS NAME BACK! MEANIES!

2. Chris Beach
    WTF?

'Face'book

I thought it was FaceBook, for you know, 'people' with faces. Not random cooking companies.

Again corps tample over people, with no justification and some abnormal sense of what is their right.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Deedpoll

Why did facebook assume that it was his vanity name and not what was in the details which was wrong? - he could have been born David LLoyd but changed to Square Sheep by deedpoll.

I don't remember facebook making it clear that the vanity name had to be based on the name you enter in your profile.

Big brother as BB=Big Business=Big Gov't=Be evil to the little guy

4. James Dunmore
    FAIL

squarecows

My Friends owes squarecows.com and .co.uk - complete fail by this bloke not to get squaresheep resisted !

5. guybles
    FAIL

.com is not the whole world...

Last time I checked (about two minutes ago), squaresheep.net is available for registration.

Not that it will make any difference: when you whore your life out to Failbook, you are dancing to their tune.

6. Craig 12

.com

Couldn't this guy just buy squaresheep.net or whatever, and thus prove the connection? (Not that he should have to...)

7. Paul_Murphy

So we should register our nick-names as domains?

I guess he could register 'http://www.squaresheep.co.uk/' - oops, no he can't that seems to have been taken already, though it's not being used.

I don't use facebook anymore since it's pretty much a complete waste of time, but this sort of autocratic behaviour needs to be challenged.

I wonder if our David could challenge the gym people for using his name? how long have they been around?

hmm 'was formed on the 1st January 2008 following the acquisition of David Lloyd Leisure Ltd' from their website, so our David might have a good basis for that.

ttfn

8. yoinkster
    Thumb Down

wormseseses!!

So farcebook should now be yanking Chrissy Shipley's username as she has no connection to it shurely? http://www.facebook.com/default.aspx

9. Ian Ferguson
    Unhappy

Business vs individual

I think David is unfortunately mistaking Facebook for a user-focussed website. It's clients aren't users, but businesses. Users are merely eyes for adverts.

After all, how much is David going to directly pay Facebook in revenue? Keeping a business happy is a much more productive act for them than keeping a user happy.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

anyone would think this was some kind of democracy

... Facebook, Apple, MS etc etc are companies. They do not exist to serve us, no matter how much we would like them to, so sorry about loosing your (fairly poor) name but excuse me while i sitffle a big YAWN!!!

11. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

lister01

My sympathy levels weren't high to start with as it's Facebook innit.

Still. Big faceless corporation v guy whose nickname has been hijacked? The squareunderdog gets my vote.

12. Llanfair
    FAIL

Moral of the story is

If you ever have a nickname or whatever, buy the domain name for it! Although, what would happen if he already had the Square Sheep domain name and the company wanted to set up one for itself?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

No big deal...

David "Squaresheep" Lloyd.

Jobs a good 'un.

14. mafoo

domain priority?

So because i own www.mathewwhite.com does that mean I can override any one else with the same name on facebook if I ever decide to sign up for an account.

Interesting how little the square sheep page has little on it in the way of cooking, or anything else.

15. Chris King
    Pirate

Commercial Relationship ?

I think this shows that Facebook only cares about monetizing your content, rather than expressing your individuality. That's why I won't let them have my photos, or any sensitive personal info.

From FB's own blog page:

"Starting at 12:01 a.m. EDT on Saturday, June 13, you'll be able to choose a username on a first-come, first-serve basis for your profile and the Facebook Pages that you administer by visiting www.facebook.com/username/. "

Put simply, he got there first, and registered the name. Quite how some random cookery site (yeah, like the internet needs another one of those !) can pull rank because they were too slow to register, I don't know. They don't even appear to be commercial, and the whois for the domain is "cloaked" - never a good sign.

The site has never been spidered by the Wayback Machine, and Netcraft says they first saw that domain in Feb 2004, so it's not like it's a catchy new name or trademark that needs to protected.

Maybe squaresheep.com needs a recipe for humble pie ?

16. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
    FAIL

Repeat after me:

It's only Facebook. It's not anything important. I should go outside and play in the real world.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about a protest....

...facebook group anyone??

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Squaresheep.com now has a shinny new facebook page

I'm sure this has nothing to do with squaresheep.com starting a facebook page on 16th Nov

19. Sir Sham Cad

Alternatives

orthogonalovine is available as a domain name in all flavours!

20. mallyhubz

Boooo

Boo give Dave his username back !

21. VinceH
    FAIL

I look forward...

...to Facebook taking the name VinceH off of it's current user and handing it over to me, then, since I've been using the name online for getting on for 15 years, and have owned vinceh.com for a large number of those years.

No, you're right, it won't happen.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real point.

Facebook is probably wrong on their own rules and moreover clearly focusing on the wrong thing, but all that is besides the point:

Why would one use facebook in the first place?

If you (as is clearly the case) have to have a domain name with your vanity name on it to have any claim on a vanity -facebook- name, then there is no point in having a facebook profile any longer. Ye olde html links work just as well to link to the blogs of your friends and anyone can link to you if they'd like to. What extra special secret sauce does facebook offer that I am missing?

23. william henderson 1
    Thumb Down

faceburk

are arseholes, invasive, slow, arrogant arseholes.

he should close his account.

it will not kill him.

24. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Grow up!

Tough luck! Do we have to pander to cry-babies like this now?

Lots of people have the same nickname, don't see them crying about it! Get a life!

I have a .com domain for my nickname, but still find my nickname has been used by others on some sites I visit. I don't go demanding recompense for the outrage. I simply lump it!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Just call me Mister Squaresheep

MrSquaresheep or SirSquaresheep don't seem to be taken.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Lol

All I can say is 'lol' - It's Facebook after all, they are a law into themselves and there is never a way of putting your side of the story to them, or appealing one of their administrative 'decisions'.

I deleted my account a long time ago and everyone else should do the same. It's a crap, pointless, advertising laden site anyway. Who cares.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

These websites are pointless...

God, amen! I stopped using "social networking" after i tinkered around with myspace for a bit. I thought to myself how horrible it would be if details I didn't want people knowing about my life were out there for all to see. Now years later celebrities routinely embarrass themselves via twitter, facebook, etc. I think the irony of these websites is they drive away what would be their heaviest users with their Jobsian style ecosystem. Even if we're not paying we're still the consumer. Why would you put up with this shit? Just don't use the service. Oh wait, I'm not relevant in the social networking society! OH NOES! Social networking just confirmed the long held belief that most people are idiots.

27. copsewood
    Badgers

Path of least resistance

Facebook are obliged by their shareholders to minimise costs and maximise revenue. That means they will almost never have time to act fairly - all they will do in this kind of situation is take the path that seems likely to be least expensive at the time, in other words take action in favour of the side to any dispute that seems most likely to threaten a more costly (to Facebook) lawsuit.

What those who don't like this fact need isn't yet another web 2.0 single monopoly site whose users attention or content is sold to advertisers. Much better will be a social networking protocol for which anyone can implement and operate a client or server with some means selectively and optionally to share content between users and servers where prior knowledge and trust relationships exist. That is why so called web 2.0 is a regression - it's really web 0.5.

28. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

this is why

i dont use farcebook!

29. Inachu
    FAIL

What is legal isn't always moral.

This is how judges in USA court system make on many cases in the US court systems.

It all boils down to money and the way the USA courts act like money can buy your way into heaven too.

Greed wins everytime. Go ask the 2 guys who invented the priceless pics series and mastercard stole the idea from them and prevented them in court from using their own idea.

The 2 guys invented it thus it is THEIR PRIOR ART. IP theft like this needs to be stopped!

But the company squaresheep.com need to do exactly what the SCI-FI channel did and do a

name change for the very same reason as SQUARESHEEP is WAYYYY to a generic term and not unique at all among the people that do use it.

It shows a lack of class and ingenuity and witt that a companies advertising dept could not come up with a better name.

30. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    FAIL

Facebook has a nickname field

Whilst I agree that this shouldn't have been taken from him, saying that it helped people finding him is not a valid argument.

Facebook already has a 'nick name' field which can be searched on, and indeed, he's using it, because if you search for David Lloyd squaresheep, he's the only match that comes up

31. John Roberts 1
    FAIL

Boooooooooooooo!

What does the name SquareSheep have to do with cooking? Nothing, it's just a made up name to get an internet domain.

GIVE HIM HIS TAG BACK!

32. Carter Cole
    FAIL

thats a bunch of bs

i have vanity urls and hope this never happens to me... i bet the company complained and they killed the name...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like