back to article UK equality laws 'fall short of EU requirements', says Commission

The UK's equality laws are inadequate, according to the European Commission which has announced that it has begun legal action against the UK. The Government claims that new equality legislation will settle the dispute. The Commission has said that the UK's laws are not compliant with the Equal Treatment Directive. It has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

EU, meet UK, UK meet EU

That is the way UK laws are defined. They are too vague when they exit the parliament. From there on it is either to the government with additional legal instruments or a judge to establish a precedent.

So what the EU wants here is basically, for the UK to put its legal system to order, not fix gender equality laws. There will be quite a few repeat performances on this one. In fact, we might as well switch to napoleonic law straight away.

Nothing wrong with that provided that the EU also forces UK to accept the new charter of rights and specifically the most fundamental right which every EU cittizen has except for one country - UK. It is the right of presumption of innocence which is not a fundamental right in the UK (it is part of the constitutions of all EU countries). In fact, screw the equality legislation, they should start with that instead.

2. Paul 4

Details

Please can we have some more details? I suspect that this is about the UKs laws having to wide a scope of positive discrimination and to limited protection for non explicate discrimination but without more infomation all you are doing is re-posting a press release.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Not Equality

The Equality bill is nothing of the sort, it is simply a quota system which will discriminate against white, middle class men. The country is run by idiots like Harman who believe it is more important to have equal numbers rather than the best person for the job. The UK is in terminal decline.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, equality

Rather like the tacit teaching that domestic violence is only bad towards females? Until equal pay is enforced - and arguments about fucking the economy don't hold when they've had decades to fix wage inequality - the State is sending the subliminal message that equality doesn't matter.

1. Hollerith 1

no and yes

I don't know of any tacit teaching that domestic violence towards females is the only bad kind. It is the overwhelming kind, but it's bad no matter what the gender of each party.

But I totally agree with you on the equal pay argument. While we remain comfy with equalities we could so easily fix, we remain comfy with unjust inequalities. I actually had a senior manager at my workplace review in a meeting all the new executive and nodding at the fact that it was a 'really diverse bunch'. All white men save for one white woman. The diversity is that a few came from two different EU countries (the company is French). And it took him a minute to wonder why all the women, including the black women, were laughing. (Needless to say, all the women were junior...)

Diversity does not mean difference in the tide line of receding hairlines.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Hollerith 1

The tacit teaching being the anti domestic violence <i>towards women and girls</i> lessons.

I know it is so because it was always in the back of my mind as a schoolboy smoker that despite all the anti smoking campaigns - not least from my parents! - because the things were sold everywhere, advertised everywhere and the Govt. took a big cut, really they were officially approved of. I didn't believe they were bad until I was hooked and starting to lose my health (I've been quit 5 1/2 years now, but it took half my life to do it).

"Kids are smart, but they don't know shit!"

Being a *tough guy*, the idea of men being victims of domestic violence took a long time to accept, but now I'm old enough to know that it obviously happens. The Govt. though, appear to have the same trouble seeing it as I did, though my excuse was I was a youth. Presumably men and boys suffering domestic violence are supposed to just take it on the chin; stop whining.

Maybe Caroline Flint was right about the unelected pillock.

Yes, most domestic violence is against women and girls. But leaving the guys who do go through it to suffer in silence is...well, what we should expect from the twat whose solution to rocketing fuel prices that threatened to kill more elderly people over winter was grants to insulate their homes for next time around!

What a poltroon. Gordon Brown: The Man with an Arse for a Face.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

Its political correctness gone mad I tell you.

Why this could result in the proverbial black lesbian in a wheelchair becoming head of the BNP.

Is this the coutry we read our Dail Mails for?

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

at work we had diversity training

I got one of the quiz questions wrong, as i said when hiring, you should hire the best person for the job.

how silly was i for not getting that you should hire the most 'diverse' person regardless of talent.

This abomination was actually part of the official annual statutory training!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Aren't most MP's Lawyers

of one form or another?

And don't sloppy laws make lots of work for lawyers? And lots of money for them when they've been kicked off the gravy train?

Just a thought... Hang on there's some one at the door.

No officer I haven't got a camera, yes I'm 6ft 1in. No I'm not intimidating you, you're just pretending.

No I wasn't protesting, I was on my compu... £$%^&*(NO Carrier)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like