back to article New York to beam disaster alerts to Xbox gamers

Evading terrorists and nuclear attacks on your Xbox 360 looks set to become a real-world challenge as well as a virtual one. New York State (NYS) has begun trialling use of the console as an emergency broadcast system for disasters. NYS’ Emergency Management Office (EMO) has opted to use the Xbox 360 as a test bed for console- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

You couldn't make this shit up...

I mean, really; "EMO"...?

<insert stereotype gag here>

R.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Does this mean...

...that anyone who has a chipped Xbox dies?

Hmm, maybe they're trying to remove pirates from the gene pool.

3. IR

Ah great

It's bad enough when you miss most of a tv program because they cover the screen with storm warnings that don't even affect your county, now you can't even game. Even my cable box jumps in when there is an amber alert (99.9% of the time it is someone stealing their own kids from their ex or foster parents).

If you can make the warning go away, then maybe it will be okay, but these ones that ruin everything and make you do something more constructive with your time and just annoying.

1. Mike Flugennock
      FAIL

Ya' got that right...

I once grabbed a frame off of the local feed of NBC "Today" while there were severe winter storms in the area one year, according to my informal measurements, the scrolling alerts and fancy-schmancy border took up a good two-thirds of the available screen real estate.

4. Martin 6 Silver badge

SMS

Isn't the obvious way to reach the little darlings text messaging.

"U R going 2 B anil8ed" ?

5. Mike Flugennock
    WTF?

Jesus. H. CHRIST.

I'm sorry, it may be well-intentioned, but that's got to be the stupidest crap I've ever heard of in my life -- but then, again, I'm only 52.

So, if this trial goes well, does this mean not only XBox, but Wii and PS users will be subject to this harassment if they make the mistake of gaming over the net? And does this mean they'll also be clobbered with push advertising somewhere along the line?

6. Eddie Johnson
    Flame

Lovely

Will this be another classic boy who cried wolf story like all the other "emergency" alert paths? I'm thinking about crawlers across TV shows warning you of a chance of a thunderstorm 100 miles away from where you are that all the TV stations have embraced. If its an actual emergency warning system it better not be used UNTIL the emergency is actually happening or is imminent and inevitable. It should not be used when it is possible, likely or even probable.

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Terminator

Game Over

So the next terrorist attack on NY will be hacking the Xbox emergency alert system. There'd be a large army of semi-capable and highly gullible people at the command of one person controlling the glowing 16:9 rectangle.

8. jake Silver badge

This is a good idea, because ...

This is a good idea, because EVERYBODY knows that gamers have more of a clue about the real world than the rest of the people on the planet ...

::rolls eyes::

The mind absolutely boggles. What a fucking waste of money.

9. MarkOne
    Flame

Xbox Live Gold only.

Silver freeloaders can burn in hell under the terrorist rubble, according to Microsoft...

10. Daniel O'Regan
    FAIL

And the minute it's up and running....

How many games are going to include this emergency broadcast as part of the game for 'immersion' purposes?

When a real one comes it'll assumed to part of the game they're playing.

11. The_Griff
    FAIL

Fail

Seriously, who comes up with these ideas? And why are they not doing something more productive with their time?

It reminds me of the scenes in The Thick of It when the minister turns to Ollie and demands three new policy ideas on the spot.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

"Hang on... hang on..."

"Hang on... hang on... let me finish this level first."

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

RROD Alerts

Shouldn't they also send out RROD alerts too?

14. Wize

Will it be area targeted?

Or will the whole chuffing world get a broadcast which affects one area?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like