back to article Beethoven's barnet fused into diamond

A synthetic diamond company has transformed 10 strands of Beethoven's hair into a "Fancy Blue" 0.56 carat gem expected to sell for up to $1m on eBay. According to the Telegraph, LifeGem obtained the sample of the composer's locks from the University Archives in Connecticut, which boasts barnet samples from a raft of celebs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Oxymoron

... burned the hair without oxygen ... ???

2. Ryan

@Will

You beat me to it... :¬D

3. Nexox Enigma

Burning works fine without Oxygen

In order to burn something, you need an oxidant, and there are many oxidants that don't have any chemical Oxygen in them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrochemistry#Oxidation_and_Reduction

4. Stewart Rice

Burn without Oxygen

It is perfectly possible to burn something without oxygen as only fire needs oxygen. Simply raising the temperature in a vacuum (perhaps by heating the walls of the container - in a similar way to cooking on a hotplate) would be enough to reduce the hair to carbon ash, thus allowing safe extraction.

5. Nano nano

TheReg pedants union

Come on guys - you _know_ oxymoron doesn't mean "contradiction" !

But it's a good pun in this context !!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ryan & Bill

You guys beat me to it, too :)

7. Jonathan Richards

Where's that carbon from, again?

Not that we really care about where the atoms came from, but...

1 carat = 0.2g, so the 0.56 ct diamond weighs 1.12g, and is to all intents and purposes pure carbon. But Ludwig's barnet yielded only 0.113g of soot, and that was going to be used in *three* diamonds. If they're all the same size, that means that the Beethoven jewel is in fact only three percent Genuine Genius Fur. I expect to see the ebay auction accurately labelled.

8. Jonathan Richards

OK, shoot me now

If I could do simple multiplication, I wouldn't make an arse of myself on the public internets.

0.2 * 0.56 = 0.112, or 112 milligrams. Would you believe I was using a slide rule?

No, I wouldn't, either

9. Jim Cosser

Waste

What a waste of science, time and money. Please somebody shoot the employees who made it and the eBayer who buys it.

10. daniel

It ain't on eBay no more...

Looks like it got pulled:

This listing (230173048291) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.

11. Scott Earle

Maybe not pulled - but moved?

I followed the link from the LifeGems site, and it took me here : http://tinyurl.com/ytrs54

12. A. Merkin

Bright and Shiny Future

Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking? Convert all the atmospheric CO2 to diamonds; instantly solve global warming and WE'LL ALL BE RICH!!!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Nexox Enigma

We all know that since it's on Wikipedia, it must be true. :)

This topic is closed for new posts.