back to article Savage roo mauls Oz man

An Oz man has taken a serious pasting at the hands of a "savage" kangaroo which was attempting to drown his dog, the Herald Sun reports. Chris Rickard, 49, was walking on his property in Arthurs Creek, Victoria with his pet mutt Rocky when the pair woke the 'roo, which was having a kip in long grass next to his farm dam (water …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not that surprising, really

According to Piglet, Christopher Robin said that a Kanga was Generally Regarded as One of the Fiercer Animals.

2. seanj
    Thumb Up

Bullet points...

Loving the linked article, with it's "blow by blow" key bullet point approach to journalism...

3. Kosh72
    WTF?

Who knew

That the Mighty Boosh was so true to life??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOZDFzIaCDY&feature=related

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Lego playset re-enactment

maybe ?

5. Chris Collins

Pedantry

Skippy was actually a wallaby, not a kangaroo. as can be seen, kangaroos are quite dangerous to work with.

6. AlistairJ
    Pint

Or so he claims ...

More likely he tangled with one of the feared antipodean women - and was found wanting.

Beer for obvious reasons.

7. JasonH
    Welcome

What's that Skippy?

"What's that Skippy? Uncle Chris has been mauled by a wild roo? Strewth, who would do such a thing? What?! You, Skippy?! No, Skippy, now put that gun down. No Skippy, no! Good Skippy? Please?"

I'd watch that series again if this was the new approach!

If for one welcome our new ... etc.

8. James 5
    Welcome

Hmmm...

.. anyone else wonder about the amazing regularity of the guys wounds?

I think it was an alien attack but he thought he wouldn't be believed. I reckon the dog is now an alien. All hail our canine overlords!

9. Will Shaw

PLAYMOBIL NOW

You heard me!

10. NogginTheNog
    Thumb Up

Another tinny

Love the way he's so laid back about nearly getting killed! :-D

11. James O'Shea
    Coat

@NoggintheNog

He's an Aussie. They're used to being attacked by assorted vicious creatures (including other Aussies) and this one wasn't that bad. Certainly not as bad as a drop bear drunk on Foster's.

Mine's the kevlar one with all the holsters for multiple pistols, thanks.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I bet...

...he's going to 'roo the day he decided to take THAT animal on.

13. Captain TickTock
    Headmaster

@Chris Collins - Pedantry? No - just plain wrong

Skippy was an eastern grey kangaroo, played by at least nine roos, probably young because even for greys, they're small.

see the poster, that's a kangaroo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skippy_the_Bush_Kangaroo

Where did this wallaby story come from?

14. Neoc

Flashback

Just had a flashback to a visit to an open zoo in the QLD Gold Coast back in '87.

Walking around the 'roo paddock I came across one who was busy scratching himself on the stomach. Did the obvious stupid move a kid can do: I place myself in front of him and mimicked him. Do *not* mimic a boomer - bad idea as they have no sense of humour. Next thing I know, I'm on the ground a few meters away with my track-suit top ripped and the imprint of two kangaroo paws on my chest.

The damn thing must have taken pity on the obviously crazy individual - not a scratch on me apart from the bruises.

15. Mr Ian
    Thumb Up

@David W

Oh dear.

16. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

Wouldn't happened in the US of A

We'd have gunned the kangaroo down immediately, in defense of our dog.

Of course, in some of these parts the dog would have outmassed the kangaroo. That's another reason we need the guns.

Paris, because in a situation like this the kangaroo would have been drowning her mobile and whatever else was in her purse along with the dog.

17. Magilla
    Go

Wild roos

Wild roos are well-known for this kind of behavior - that's why the dingos generally leave them alone, and take babies instead.

18. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

So let's see...

There's a kangaroo sleeping in the grass, this guy's dog chases after it, the kangaroo defends itself by grabbing the dog and trying to drown it, the owner comes along and tries to get the kangaroo off the dog, the kangaroo quite naturally assumes that this guy is in league with the dog and starts on him as well.

And he was surprised by all of this?

Look cobber, substitute the word "kangaroo" with "crocodile" and see if you start to get the picture.

Let sleeping roos lie, that's what I say....

19. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

The 'roo just...

wanted to play noughts and crosses.

Anyway, the headline's wrong, should be, "Valiant native herbivore defends itself against vicious attack by alien pack killer". Clear case of self-defence, it retreated to water, and the dog still harassed it.

Mine's the tattered one.

20. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pirate

When marsupials go bad!

Be afraid, be very afraid...

21. Mark 65

Get a new dog

Seriously, any dog that can be held down with two arms to drown it without taking a huge chunk out of the assailant is a waste of space. Especially when you consider the bit pressure of canine teeth.

22. exit...quit...bye...quitbye.ctrl-C..ctrlX.ctrl-alt-X...aarrrr*slam*

He should have known better:

He must have been new to Australia, rule #1 "If it lives here, it will try to kill you."

...not that hard to remember.

23. Captain TickTock
    Jobs Horns

@Mark 65

Your comment title is incomplete. It should have read:

Get a new dog - it's not that big of a deal.

24. Joel 1
    Coat

This is REALLY old news!

If you follow the linked article, it says that it was a Victorian man - more than a century out of date....

Mine's the frock coat...

25. Charley 1
    Big Brother

In Soviet Britain

climate change will drown your dog for you and cut out the middle man.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like