back to article MS discovers flaw in Google plug-in for IE

Microsoft has helped discover a flaw in the Google Chome Frame plug-in for Internet Explorer users. The plug-in allows suitably coded web pages to be displayed in Internet Explorer using the Google Chrome rendering engine. Redmond warned that the plug-in made IE less secure as soon as it became available back in September, an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kevin Johnston

MS discover a flaw?

Oh if only they would put the same effort into their own products. I realise that these days no software product goes out 100% tested but rather than put the effort into proving a competitors product has problems, put the effort into ensuring your own doesn't.

Pointing to someone else's error only has meaning if you are error free

OK, rant over

2. Bah Humbug

A title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

I wonder how many hours MS spent, desperately trying to find a bug, any bug, in Chrome?

I'm also wondering how upset they must be now that Google have released a patch for that bug...back to searching.

3. peter 45

"Google sucks goats...we have proof"

Why do I get the feeling that Microsoft has gone balls out to find a flaw in the plug-in. Could it be that they want to deflect attention ffrom the huge number of flaws in their own product? Or could it be that they just want to find any excuse to bash Google. Ir could it be that they are pi**ed that Google has just parked their tanks on Microsofts lawn?

Either way adn word of advice to Microsoft. " people in glass houses.........."

4. myxiplx2
    FAIL

Googles fault, or Microsofts?

While Google will obviously need to patch this bug, you have to wonder about the security of a browser where a bug in any add-in can cause "high risk" vulnerabilities in the browser (to use Microsofts own description).

If you are going to allow plugins, they need to be isolated and sandboxed, to guard against both bugs like this and malicious plugins.

As far as I'm concerned, the louder Microsoft shout about problems with the Google plugin, the more they emphasize the problems with their browser.

5. Subban

Hang on a minute....

To quote:

>Successfully exploiting the flaw creates a means for hackers to bypass security controls though not to go all the way and drop malware onto vulnerable systems.

So using the plugin, will stop things getting installed on your PC, though there is some kind of bug?

If you don't use the plugin, IE will invariably install malware/viruses you don't want installed on your PC....

I must have read this wrong or something, or Microsoft are becoming more masterful at spin.

Next, "Microsoft claim you should use Internet Explorer, because Firefox sometimes has bugfixes."

6. criscros
    Thumb Down

Here, have a title, annoying thing

Well, we ARE talking about IE 6. It's amazing it still works and people/companies still use it.

Of course, what Microsoft wants to do is find a good enough excuse to say "Srry, mst remve plgn! Everyone must depend on IE, not your sucky, standards-compliant browser."

7. Reading Your E-mail
    FAIL

Time is money, but not when you need to get even.

I wonder how many people they pulled and time they burnt in their desperate attempt to find a flaw, no matter how small, so they could score a point. I'm starting to think all board rooms are run like triple velvet:

http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=29816

8. m_fkill
    FAIL

already fixed

"Google acknowledged the flaw and urged users to update to version 4.0.245.1 of Google Chrome Frame." So Microsoft have found a flaw that Google have already fixed.

9. Dave 124

Ms Finds Chrome Bugs..

It would be very nice if Micro$oft invested as much into fixing the bugs, back-doors and open exploitations in their OS's as they just did to find this one bug in Chrome. I personally am done investing in buying M$ OS's. Their main model is not customer based. They don't fix their last OS before they dump millions into their next OS leaving customers in the lurch and paying through the nose to upgrade all of their apps. MS is no longer a leader in the industry but rather an example of greed. The future of MS is as a VM Image safely encapsulated in a secure Linux host - on display as an oddity of engineering used to block innovation, a marker of the way not to go.

10. archie lukas
    Grenade

If you look hard and long enough

If you have a big enough microscope, you'll always find something,

the trick is how you interpret that teeny glitch.

11. Shaun 1
    WTF?

Version...

"version 4.0.245.1"

How many updates have there been if they're up to version 4 already?

12. Neal 5

what can i say

fucking wankers.

now am I talking about MS or the anti MS commentards?

Now there's a real question.

13. RW
    Flame

@ Dave 124 re Greed

"MS is no longer a leader in the industry but rather an example of greed."

Nothing unusual there. It seems like the standard corporate business model these days involves making as much money as you can outside the normal exchange of money for specified goods or services. Forced upgrades, hidden fees, charging for things formerly provided free as a matter of course, lies, distortions, and untruths.

All to provide the dickheads in charge with unjustifiably extravagant salaries. Tell me, Mr. Corporate Hotshot, just what do you do that justifies your salary?

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Criscros

"It's amazing it [IE6] still works and people/companies still use it."

I agree that it's amazing that home users still use it, but not companies. You clearly have no idea how expensive it would be to roll out a new browser to 15,000 PCs. The testing alone would require a sizeable budget.

15. Neoc

Stupid, stupid, stupid

Do not, not, NOT use cross-browser functionality plug-ins. Ever. I don't care if you're running FF, IE, OP or Ch. Trying to make one browser behave like another is inviting people to find chinks in the interface (in both use of the term).

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Now if only

MS could fix the bugs in their own browser.

I just finished developing a website for a family member (something I don't do very often), only to find that it just doesn't work in IE. The worst thing is that IE does support the features I used, but it just doesn't work properly in all situations. Microsoft knew about and acknowledged these bugs before it released IE8 (I found they had been reported to Microsoft during the IE8 betas), but their response was essentially that they had better things to do than bother fixing such trivial matters as making the browser actually work as designed.

17. Tim Bates

@Anonymous Coward

Testing of the browser is almost unnecessary. It's testing and redesigning the in house intranet systems that cost time and money. Some of that could mean complete rewrites as thousands of lines of MS-mutilated code needs to be brought back to standards compliance.

Of course they're going to have to do it sooner or later, so it seems odd so many are still stuck with IE6 after over 3 years. IE6 is now considered a security problem in itself.

This topic is closed for new posts.