back to article 'Banned' Xbox Live consoles appearing on eBay

Microsoft’s decision to ban gamers from Xbox Live as punishment for allegedly modifying their consoles has spurred many to simply sell their Xbox 360s through eBay, it has emerged. Earlier today, the number of Xbox 360s described as “banned” on eBay’s UK website was steadily growing, with prices for such machines ranging …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson

Eh?

Surely it's the xbox live user that is banned, not the console?

Any user that connects to xbox live using one of these consoles probably will end up banned, unless they de-mod them first.

2. Ben 15
    Gates Halo

listing as not banned

I don't think you can list consoles as being modified or chipped in anyway. probably why no-one is touting that particular "feature" of the consoles

3. John 199

Consoles can be banned

No, consoles can be banned as well as accounts. This is because some of the repeat offenders of not just using mod chips but also spamming and sending unsuitable material around just buy a new Xbox live account.

So to deal with this Microsoft ban the whole console.

4. MarkOne
    FAIL

Good way to kill 2nd hand xbox market

Force users into buying new units.

Ban 1m consoles permanently, and then nobody can trust buying 2ndhand units... Microsoft have been rather crafty about this, they will reap the benefits for a long time, from clueless fanboys that buy a replacement 360 because they are locked into the platform with games and XBL accounts.

(The timing was also planned too, it's no coincidence that it happened just AFTER MW2 was launched, where it would cause the most pain to gamers).

5. Iain Gilbert
    Pirate

Cheap media centre extender

Does anyone know if this "ban" stops the xbox's media playback and media centre abilities? Does it stop one from playing games offline?

If not it sounds like I might be able to pick up a bargin, as I'm a very light gamer and certainly not paying MS for online gaming.

6. doveman
    Pint

Too risky buying second-hand

Even if a 360 hasn't already been banned, there's no guarantee that it hasn't been flagged and will get hit by the next ban-wave, so it seems rather dodgy buying any second-hand 360 if you want to use it on Live or use the HD install feature.

I'm generally too nervous to buy second-hand mobiles as well, as some twisted seller could easily report it stolen and leave you with an expensive paper-weight once you've bought it.

Beer, 'cos it's more reliable.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like