back to article Potty-mouths charged for Comcast hijack

The potty-mouthed hackers who hijacked Comcast's domain name for several hours last year were charged with intentionally damaging a protected computer system. Christopher Allen Lewis, 19, of Delaware, James Robert Black Jr., 20, of Washington, and Michael Paul Nebel, 27, of Michigan were indicted Thursday on a single felony …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

DNS hijack

Ah, the sweet irony!

> The incident cost a loss to Comcast of $128,578.

"Because someone else other than us hijacked our customer's DNS"

Sympathy, gone.

2. Ben Tasker
    Thumb Up

Title

Good f*ckin Scroates

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Oh man

Skidz like this deserve everything they get, this is too lenient, they should have there ability to reproduce, type and talk removed, that would benifit the internet community more then anything

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

irony

The worm turneth - first someone pinches Comcast's DNS, and then they start doing NXDOMAIN redirect. Ho hum.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Tards are as tards are

5 years for a 'cool' jape?

Idiots

6. Suburban Inmate
    Jobs Halo

The 27 y/o needs a fooking slap.

The rest need a stern talking-to and early bedtime without supper. I have to admit, though, seeing a plain l33t$p£3|< defacement took me back a good few years!

Angel Steve? Well, I've never used it before so it makes a change, since I do not and never will own any apple trinkets.

7. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

$128,578?

That's an astonishingly precise figure, I wonder how it was acheived?

8. James Condron

Jesus

But you know there is a forum full of people somewhere laughing at how they got some idiots to attack comcast, while 'forgetting' to teach the importance of, oh I don't know, everything important about wiping your tracks, not ringing comcast up, not leaving your handles and screen names everywhere.

What is this, 19-fucking-98? These skiddies don't deserve punishment; they deserve an education. And all references to 'metasploit' removed from their boxes.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What damage exactly?

Seems to me they caused a lot of embarrassment, but nothing appears to actually be damaged.

As for the figure quoted, I'd love to know where they get that from.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Skiddies of 19 to 27?

Back in the day us kids were 12 to 16 or hopefully smart enough to not be easily traceable. Truly, the interwebz for teh grat unwashed. Wonder how comcast calculated that number, though. I think there was at least a large factor involved.

Can't say I condone skiddie actions, but I don't have sympathy for corporate DNS hijacking either. Still, comcast presumably does own their systems (leaving it up to the customers to complain or take their business elsewhere) and the skiddies didn't, legally.

Remains the minor matter of what to do about it. I think this is too harsh already. Most of the post-1993 set have no idea whatsoever that the internet always was and largely still is a co-operative endeavour. This makes calculating damages an excercise in inventing numbers and hoping they sound plausible. Too bad too many adults aren't internet savvy enough to be responsible on the internet and thus cannot make clear to the young'uns that failure to co-operate or even behave anti-socially is very much a no-no. But still, a slap on the wrist is really all that should be needed.

11. Dale Morgan
    Stop

@everyone calling them "skiddies" WTF?

Skiddies dont do social engineering, clearly you people get your hacking knowledge from a skiddie forum or urban dictionary

Tell me, what downloadable hacking script will manipulate someone into giving you vital information on a telephone call?

12. kain preacher

Comcast DNS hijacking

You know folks you can opt out of it by turning domain helper off.

13. Marvin the Martian
    Boffin

@ $128,578? By Graham Marsden

I presume it involves establishing the exact financial loss represented by a person thinking "what a mickey mouse operation, let's go to that well-run AOL," plus the number of such people, and other sundry brand value loss calculations. And some overtime. Plus a chair destroyed by Ballmer's nephew working there as an intern.

This topic is closed for new posts.