back to article Asus intros netbook with desktop CPU

Asus has once again extended it Eee PC netbook range, this time with a machine that not only includes Nvidia's Ion graphics but also a dual-core Atom processor - a desktop chip, to be precise. Asus_Eee_1201N_01 Asus' Eee 1201N: 'desktop replacement' netbook? Including Ion means the Eee PC 1201N can drive a 1366 x 768 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Dan Price

Stretching the definition of "netbook" here.

A 12" screen and £399? I think we're stretching the definition of "netbook" here a little. 12 months ago this would have been called an ultra-portable laptop, especially since it's £50 more expensive than the basic Dell 15" laptop model. Netbook to me says cheap and tiny, not average-price and slightly smaller than normal.

3. David Hicks
    Thumb Down

That's not a netbook

At 12.1 inches it's almost as big as my vaio SZ. With dual core and an nvidia processor chucked in...

Nah, it's just a budget laptop, and it may not even be all that "budget" either.

4. Nigel 11
    Thumb Up

What I've been waiting for?

Unanswered question, weight?

If it's not too heavy, I think I'll be buying one.

5. Anton Ivanov
    Thumb Down

If it comes with Linux I will buy it

My wife's HP is approaching the time when it will be due for replacement. If this beast comes with Linux it may make my pos-Xmas sale shopping list. While I may grudgingly buy something with HP (as it is nearly guaranteed to run Linux) I am definitely not paying for Vista 2.0.

6. philth
    WTF?

How?

On earth is that classed as a netbook, or "mini laptop", it's got standard laptop grade everything!

7. Colin 21
    WTF?

How much?

So for less than £78 more I could get a proper mobile laptop with a ULV Pentium processor, 13.3" screen and built in DVD-RW drive. So much for the small cheap computers netbooks were supposed to be.

8. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Stop

SSD or it's not a netbook...

If I have to worry about crashing disk heads if I drop it, then it's not a netbook. Nor is it a netbook if I can't fit it in my tankbag.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Netbook!

Netbooks fit in the map pocket of a site coat anything bigger is a laptop

10. NogginTheNog

Stop biatching!

Yeah yeha maybe it's not a 'netbook' by your varied definitions, but it's an unsurprising evolution of the sector. Netbooks have been a runaway success, but the main criticism of them has been the tidgy screens, and lack of horsepower. Hey presto, what do we have here...?

11. Goat Jam
    FAIL

Cool

However, I must say my netbook which has Core2 Duo and a 19 inch Full HD screen is better.

12. Gordon 10
    Go

Budget ultraportable

And what's wrong with that? Would like to know how the 330 bencarks against the culv stuff that's flavour of the month ATM

13. noodle heimer

if it's light, it's a win

If this comes in at around a kilo, charger included, it's not competing against budget boatanchor notebooks, it's competing against higher end machines, the Thinkpad ultralights and high-end lightweight Macs. These are machines people buy with weight as a factor more important than cost.

If the screen opens properly it may be something I'll buy - I gave a netbook to my sister last year for Christmas, after figuring out how bad the keyboard was for the actual work I do, which involves typing but does not need a lot oomph. The screen was a problem, also, since it didn't fully open.

Sis liked it, I enjoyed playing with it, but even as a personal machine, it didn't work out.

This? This might do well for me.

14. david bates

@NogginTheNog

A bloody laptop...obviously

Spinny HD as Gene Cash rightly said is a fail befoer you even start.

My 701 may have a tiny screen (and a tiny SSD), but it runs office productivity software, VLC and Firefox with no problem...its also rugged, the small screen is less prone to damage and its not gonna start throwing bad sectors if I drop it while its thrumming the HD...which is the whole point of the damn thing.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Definately not a netbook

£200 too much and 2" too big.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ NogginTheNog

[quote]Yeah yeha maybe it's not a 'netbook' by your varied definitions, but it's an unsurprising evolution of the sector. Netbooks have been a runaway success, but the main criticism of them has been the tidgy screens, and lack of horsepower. Hey presto, what do we have here...?[/quote]

what do we have here...?

Answer: A F@cking notebook, NOT a netbook. GET IT???

E.G. If I buy a small car I don't want to be forced into buying space for a family. UNDERSTAND???

And by the way my single core NC10 runs Windows 7 just fine and has done for a while ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like