back to article Dell is beat by The Street

Dell released its financial results for Q3 ended 30 October on Thursday, and for its troubles, it took a beating in after hours trading. The good news is that the company remains profitable. The bad news is that those profits have sunk 54 per cent since last year - and were 5 cents a share worse than analyst estimates. And …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just as I predicted several months ago

No shock with high unemployment and a worldwide economic recession that shows almost no signs of recovery for 5 or more years. Unemployed people don't buy much of anything but food - if they can afford that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Just as predicited

Good work, Nostradamus. Care to make a few predictions for the record now, actually ahead of events? That way you won't look like the type who always says, "I knew that" when someone else answers questions.

3. criscros
    FAIL

totally incompetent

So, they sat around and waited with fingers crossed for their sole software vendor to release a new (hopefully "better") OS instead of getting out and diversifying with new OSs that weren't Vista?

I would NEVER invest in this company. They did nothing to protect their stockholders' investment!

If I was the largest PC vendor in the world, I would make sure that I have at least two choices for everything, just in case a Vista comes along. So, even now they're failing to see where they're failing.

4. saikungbob
    Jobs Halo

sell dell

Hey, maybe he should just sell out and give the money back to the stockholders!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/jobs_halo_32.png

5. Arctic fox
    Megaphone

Analysts?

"The good news is that the company remains profitable. The bad news is that those profits have sunk 54 per cent since last year - and were 5 cents a share worse than analyst estimates."

How often have we seen this kind of thing? A company performs "worse" than the analysts predicted and its shareprice takes a caning. Doesn't anybody EVER ask whether or not the analysts know WTF they are doing? Could one not equally well argue (sometimes) that the analysts have effed up by OVERestimating what could be rationally expected in the given market condtions? I cannot be the only one who sometimes gets the feeling that these people are a bunch of overpaid tealeaf-readers.

6. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
    Joke

@ Arctic Fox 05.25

"I cannot be the only one who sometimes gets the feeling that these people are a bunch of overpaid tealeaf-readers."

As a professional tealeaf reader, I take offence at that, and would like to reassure my clients that my success rate is far superior to these charlatans....!

7. The Original Steve

Can't blame Vista...

... Otherwise how can you explain HP's success?

If they didn't want to charge me £20 a box for removing their crapware, making us pay ontop of Gold support for "ProSupport" (which means talking to a techie rather than to a script monkey) as well as losing their edge in being cheap then maybe I'd be more inclined to suggest a hardware refresh.

Instead they're just milking IT departments dry...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

unfair to compare Dell to HP across the board

HP's reaping incredible profits for printer ink, higher margins off Unix and other proprietary software, as well as a fully integrated services business.

The comparison to make would be Dell desktop, notebook and x86 server revenues versus HP desktop, notebook and X86 server revenues.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like