back to article North England to replace satanic mills with iPhone app factories

Offical boosters for the North of England have been looking at iPhone development, and published a guide for entrepreneurial Northerners on how to get their apps noticed. Regional development body Northwest Vision and Media body tries to promote development of the digital economy up North, and reckons that iPhone application …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ShaggyDoggy

Philistines

As a Yorkshireman I prefer the spelling On Ilkley Moor, bar t'at

bar = without

t' = the

at = hat

thankyou

2. Ian Halstead
    Pint

Aye lad...

.... app'n we might.

That's a pint of Websters by the way. Or if you are even older, a pint of Ramsdens.

3. Brutus
    Pint

@ShaggyDoggy

Dude, I think you missed the gag!

bar t'at = without a hat

bar t'app= without an application

Have a pint of Pedi and think on't

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I assume that's East Yorkshire

1 Thai baht is about all most phone apps are worth.

5. Rob Davis
    Thumb Up

Will help London-centric finance-centric UK out of recession

With high tech exports outside of London, this should enhance the UK's portfolio of economic growth opportunities and provide new alternatives to London and finance as the major earners.

The BBC's move of its future media technologies department to Salford Quays will help set the scene for this trend.

"But 90 per cent of iPhone and iPod Touch users are buying applications, surprisingly the latter buying more than the former"

Not surprising: could it be that iPod Touch users have paid less for their device and aren't committed to a monthly line rental, so they have more cash available to spend on apps?

6. Evil_Trev
    FAIL

Obvious

What else would replace the tens of thousands of jobs lost in mining, steel works, shipbuilding and heavy industries but writing apps for £3 a pop, should keep yer average northerner and his family in clogs for years....

'caus obviously ex miners, steelworks, farms, labourers, welders et al are all going to make top notch coders

7. Carl Berry
    FAIL

It's the wrong side of the Pennines Gromit.

Given it's the North West Vision and Media body it doesn't really matter what the Yorkies think.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Shaggy Doggy

Sorry, but your Tyke credentials are in doubt.

I don't think there's any official spelling but it's:

baht = without

Nobody in any of the ridings would say "bar" for without.

And the gag is royally fucked up as far as I can see. If the body concerned covers the northwest then that would not include Ilkley or it's Moor which are both in west yorkshire, which is not the northwest by any traditional measure.

9. MichaelC
    FAIL

@ShaggyDoggy

Personally, as a fellow Yorkshireman, I'd prefer the correct spelling of the anthem as "On Ilkla Moor baht 'at" :)

Of course, the joke doesn't match the content anyway....

Ilkla Moor is firmly situated in God's Own County of Yorksha - whereas Northwest Vision is all about stuff from the wrong side of the Pennines (from their About Us page: "Northwest Vision and Media works on behalf of the digital and creative industries in the Northwest to grow a world-class digital and creative economy within the region") and is supported by the Northwest Regional Development Agency!

Ah'll sithee...

10. Gordon is not a Moron
    Pint

Geography failure

Northwest Vision and Media, surely they cover Mancs, Scoucers and the like. Ilkley Moor however is on the proper side on the Pennines, and as every right thinking person knows the only good thing to come out of the other side of the Pennines was the road to Yorkshire.

Now where did I leave that pint of Old Peculiar ?

11. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @ShaggyDoggy

Oh my God. The pun was there for the doing so I did it. I don't care if the story's got anything to do with the literal actual Ilkley or not. And nor should you. Enough already.

12. N2

Eh up?

Dost thou compete with 'Word For Northerners'

13. Yorkshirepudding
    Pint

some suggested apps

iWhippet - train your ritual racing mutt

iWife - preloaded with various norah batty type shouting

ex-pat yorkshireman living in scouseland

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Gordon is not a Moron

"Now where did I leave that pint of Old Peculiar ?"

I think you need to check your spelling. You're very unlikely to find a pint of old peculiar anywhere at all.

15. Norm DePlume
    Thumb Down

Dark Satanic Mills shock

They were in London. Blake was writing about London's mills. Nowt to do wi' us up 'ere.

16. Petercushion

Coincidence

I'm a Yorkshire iPhone Developer in Ilkley sat in a pub called Bar T'aht reading this. Weird.

17. R Callan
    Grenade

@Shaggy & AC

As any Yorkshireman knows Illkla Moor is in the West Riding of Yorkshire. That's what it was when I was born a little south and east of Illkley and attempts by the toffee nosed southerners to minimise and denigrate the heartland of England should be fought against at all costs.

Incidentally, a bar is a gate or gatehouse. York has some fine examples built into the walls. They were very useful for displaying the heads of non-Yorkshire troublemakers. Perhaps the practice could be reinstated?

p.s. could the grenade symbol be changed to a good old-fashioned Mills bomb? These funny yankee things don't really match with a .uk domain

18. Gordon is not a Moron

@Anonymous Coward 13:08

Aftur toe punts off the stoof it's a perfecklee acceptabull speelling

19. spencer
    FAIL

not really much money in this

unless your app is literally fucking amazing then it's just gonna get lost in the millions of other average apps.

IMO more profitable to use your mad programming skillz doing something else; like wholesale credit card fraud or something

20. ubergill
    Thumb Down

Check your self

Wow, how patronising, offensive and ignorant.

21. Hermes Conran
    Happy

Ilkley Moor?

There's a flat capp for that!

22. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Quango wasting money again

Yet another quango spending the taxpayer's money on information which is obvious to everyone but the brain dead. How much did the consultants charge for the "interviews" they carried out? Were the consultants totally independent of the quango's decision makers?

23. Tony Paulazzo
    Happy

Surely

The best way to make money from iWhatever apps is to create something original and useful that doesn't step on any of Apples copyrighted ideas, past or future and sell for 2.99.

Or, y'know, write a crappy puzzle game and punt it for 99p (one that relays any bank information found on the iWhatever back to you).

Alternatively, if you love Apple that much, why don't you just marry them? Bazinga!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like