back to article Nintendo exec reignites Wii HD speculation

Despite only recently stating that “there is no Wii HD” in development, the President of Nintendo America has since hinted that HD support isn’t the only new feature that may be added to a next-generation Wii. Reggie Fils-Aime said during a recent interview with website Kotaku that when Nintendo “move to the new generation” it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy 73 Silver badge

Makes sense not to rush..

The gaming community seem to be delighting or despairing of the Wii finally beginning to loose ground to the PS3/360, depending on their religious afflictions. For Nintendo, sitting on a very large pot of money, I should imagine that the current situation is largely irrelevant.

Instead they'll be looking at Natal, XBox Live and their own experiences with things like iPlayer to decide what the next gen Wii will do. It seems to me that jumping in with a Wii HD to draw out the lifespan of a machine that is increasingly being outshone by other platforms would be at best an interim measure and could have costs they'd rather avoid. Far better to wait a while and make the neWii able to distinguish itself.

For now, the biggest threat to Nintendo seems to be getting the content model right rather than the issue of 'legacy' hardware sales dropping. They've used most of their IP on the existing machine, so the next one will have to find something fresh to do before it will be a compelling upgrade. Nintendo haven't had a misstep like Home, but outside of Mario or Wii Fit they haven't had a success like XBox Live or the iPhone App Store either.

There's a lot to be said for avoiding the avalanche of dross that 'fire and forget' app services have ushered back (not seen since the early frenzy of the 8-bit computing era), but it seems difficult to sustain momentum of a system when you can only muster a handful of triple A products. A middle ground of community engagement in an environment that supports discovery of a wider range of content sounds promising but is hard to implement (cf. everything from Home, to Wii Channels and on to the fringes of Facebook and MySpace).

2. Travis 4

When the current hardware can't do something?

Ok how about the fact the Wii (which I own) can't do graphics that look like they didn't come from 2004? Hell even the Gamecube could do 480p if you knew the button combination to enable it.

To be honest, I'd rather see a Wii HD that supported HDMI and 1080p with full backwards compatibility and perhaps even used two different game engines on the same disc (the classic Wii 480p and the Wii HD 1080p) and slowly ease into Wii HD only support. Nintendo did it with the GBA and DS, so you can't say it isn't fair.

1. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!
      Thumb Down

component cable

Yeps the Wii can also do 480p with the component cable, however the standard composite video cable allows 576i (Standard PAL) which is a higher resolution.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"they haven't had a success like XBox Live"

huh?

Success?!

Where?

Since when has the 'Live' been a success? It's forced gamers to pay for a service that other consoles are giving out free.. not to mention the world reach of the services of other consoles, compared to 'Live'. yes it's decent, but I certainly wouldn't call it a success..

Mine's the one with the Molotov in the pocket

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like