back to article Intel Israel rolls out the barbed wire

Intel Israel faced angry orthodox Jews on Saturday as they protested at the chip giant's refusal to follow the religious rules for the Sabbath. The chip maker's offices in Har Hotzim, north of Jerusalem, were surrounded by about 2,000 protestors shouting "Shabbes, shabbes!". After a peaceful start there was some violence …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Lawrence
    FAIL

Oh Jesus!

Blimey what a load of fuss and yet again Religion is at the root of it. Does the law there require everyone to be Jewish? Surely not. What about respect for those who don't subscribe to the same religious views? As a non-believer myself I am simply astounded by the whole matter. Maybe if Intel just shoved them loads of money whilst denying any wrong doing they will go back to worrying the Palestinians again!

2. Ryan 7
    FAIL

Are these the same Jewish Israelis...

who get so hot under the collar about Muslims trying to foist *their* religious beliefs on others?

3. dogged
    Grenade

The Non-final Solution

They could always do like everyone else in Israel and just hire Arabs for the Saturday shift.

Then again, that just gets the Jews angry about "immigrants" and increases the world supply of irony.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

When in Rome

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you don't like the long-established standard operating practices in Rome, don't invest/employ there. What's so hard about that?

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

When in Rome...

On the other hand, if you want to set up business in a country you should respect their laws and traditions.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

just wandering

"Jewish law forbids any work on Shabbat except for that related to national security, public health and some other specific areas. Any company requiring staff to work must have a permit to do so."

I believe that many "religious" laws are over a thousand years old. So, how old is the law that included reference to "national security, public health and some other specific areas" not to mention that it can be "avoided" with a "permit"?!

Is this a religious law or a *government* law?

just wandering

7. Hermes Conran
    Alert

He said Jehovah! Stone him!

Isn't it forbidden to protest on Shabbat?

8. Law
    Go

easier solution

.... they could just leave isreal and setup shop somewhere else... there are plenty of other regions in the world that are cheap as chips to make... chips.

Personally... I hate the fact that we do sunday shopping hours here in the uk... it must suck for the people there at intel who actually need to work a few extra hours a week to feed their families...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's fundamentally about fundamentalists

Good grief even the catholics saw sense at the end of the last century, the jews have been at it for 4,000 years. I suggest Intel should consider investing somewhere else.

Dr Mr Otellini,

In view of your troubles in the eastern med, I suggest you invest more in the UK, because most of us take the piss out of all religions!

Best regards

Erasmus

10. Sleepy 3
    Unhappy

Religion...

Always useful when you need a cast-iron excuse for some violence.

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

WTF?

This is something you'd typically expect from an Islamic state. Isn't Isreal supposed to be secular? Great way to attract economic development Isreal.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hmmmm..

..not sure about the comments 1 and 3.

This is Israel after all, with a vast majority of Jewish believers. Just like the US and most of Europe are Christians, it's just that we've lost the sense of spiritualistic values that makes Orthodoxians* (no matter WHAT religion) jittery.

If it's in their laws, then so be it. If it's purely a religious law that isn't part and parcel of Israel's doctorine (let's be honest, it probably is.. It's the Sabbath after all..), then fine they are over-reacting. I think on this instance not.

UK - remember it took nearly 4 decades to remove the "No shops to be open on Sunday".

* Yes i know: New word.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

religion...

"This is Israel after all, with a vast majority of Jewish believers. Just like the US and most of Europe are Christians, it's just that we've lost the sense of spiritualistic values that makes Orthodoxians* (no matter WHAT religion) jittery."

This comment is silly., The only reason they have many Jewish believers is because of Zionism.

Anyway just goes to show that there are nutters with all religion. The fact that we only seem to concentrate on the Muslim nutters just show how fucked up this country has become. We live in 2009, not fucking 1864.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Before we all wade in...

Has anyone found out whether Intel actually applied for the permit and is waiting for the result, or simply went ahead anyway?

If they're breaking the law, they should change their practices to comply with it - that's true everywhere.

However, it would send a much stronger message to Israel and theocracies everywhere if they pulled out completely and put the plant somewhere secular.

We need an icon that shows the abrahamic god with horns on his head.

15. James 55
    Joke

Journalists

Presumably they can't work either.

@Andy Towler

"if they're breaking the law"

I think they mean Jewish law not state law. It's like saying* it hurts my feelings that you posted your comment on the 16th of October!!! That's when my rabbit died when I was five. So you shouldn't be allowed to post....

*Something similar anyway...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

sorry, El Reg, you're wrong

I'm from Israel and unfortunately, the Reg got the info wrong...

It is actually a government law to prevent employers from forcing employees to work on Saturday (Shabbat). There are few companies who have an exemption, but those companies are required to give a free day to a worker if he worked on Saturday.

Intel could have solved this issue quite easily by hiring non-Jews to work on Saturday (and let them have another job inside Intel for the remaining days maybe) and be done with it, but once again, Intel ignored the law. Why Intel ignores the law which every company here in Israel respects - is beyond me..

17. Hetz Ben Hamo
    Stop

James 55

Sorry to inform you, but it's Actually what you call "A state low" here in Israel.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@AC 15.12

"This comment is silly., The only reason they have many Jewish believers is because of Zionism."

Hmmm.. not sure their comment was silly... Maybe mis-guided. But I would certainly question the sillyness of your comment. True, it's a zionist country, but it's law.

So. There you have it - Law is law, lawbreaker ;-)

Mines the one with the "Jewish Book of Why" in the pocket

19. Cortland Richmond

Intel has had Saturday work permits for years

It appears, however, that some Orthodox groups have decided protest and even riots are how to hang onto political power -- or gain more. The English-language Jerusalem Post often covers this. Search there for "haredi" or "haredim".

A 13 November article about Intel's troubles, "Barkat voices his support for Intel" by Judy Siegel and Abe Selig, says,

excerpt

While government permits are required for companies to employ Jews on Shabbat, the original Fab 8 facility had such permission from the outset. When it closed for renovations two years ago, the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Labor permit was no longer necessary, but negotiations to renew it are considered by management as a formality that will not be rejected.

URL http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1258027297907&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

20. tjake13

Fanatics

Isn't it wonderful to have religious fanatics tell you what to do??

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like