back to article Android's delicate guts ripped apart

Sure, plenty of people have cracked the iPhone's software, but the Droid's hardware? That's a different matter. Motorola's engineers have worked hard to make their debut Android-powered phone as delicate - and difficult - to deconstruct as possible. The tear-down crew at PhoneWreck got to grips with this Google-powered midget …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning
    Flame

"fake gold grating"

Hard to tell from here, but that looks like perfectly legitimate RFI/EMI/ESD gasket.

Putting screws under name plates etc is also pretty standard. These are name plates are often designed to be fitted after the fact to allow rebadging for Tmobile etc without having to redo the whole casework. They are also less prone to muck ingress and also have better aesthetics (no hole in the middle of the logo).

2. Anton Ivanov

Motorola as usually is not up with the times

Screws? How prehistoric...

I recently had to repair a Nokia E65 which fell "down the drain". Disassemble, wash in deionised water, reassemble. There is a stage in assembling the slider which basically requires hammering it in place with the spring held by some black magic. Nearly impossible to reproduce by hand and definitely impossible to do without leaving some screwdriver/wedge traces. Anyway, IIRC the damn thing had only 2 screws altogether and none of them particularly critical. Rest was held together mostly by friction. Way cheaper to assemble than the countless motorola screws. Ditto for Apple using glue.

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    FAIL

Woo-hoo...

They must be so proud that they have managed to dismantle a phone.

Guessing the other 7 billion or so people on the planet really couldn't care less.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Congratulations...

...you've destroyed a phone. Turns out it was full of fiddly bits you are not supposed to remove. We're all much better informed now. Well done.

5. Chris 211

to idiots not interested in learning

I rather enjoy looking at things taken apart. As a teenager I used to take all sorts apart and put them back together again and surprise surprise today I am an engineer doing very well even in this slight downturn. Its interesting to see how these things come apart. I would not do it to my own because I only have one phone and its very important to me but if someone has a spare and records it then yeah I'll tune in and look at the bits and think how much has changed since I took apart my radio cassette recorder, it was always the tape deck I had problems with getting working again..... Anyway as my title imply s learning comes from seeing and doing.

6. Seanmon
    Go

Yeah, but...

what a cool job to have!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Woah, losers out in force today

I think you're on the wrong site. You want bendoverandtakeitupthearsefrombigbusiness-heavenforbidwetakeacloserlookatthethingswebuy.co.ck

8. Cliff

@FAILscreamers

Guys, this may be of no interest to you, but I LOVE seeing the guts of these things seeing the number of things I ripped to pieces as a kid but can no longer afford to do...

These guys dissect technology but in the process get to know a bit about how to fix them, and fixing fiddly gadgets that go wrong is a good thing, no?

9. Player_16

@ Chris 112

Well I'm sure those 'Failed' beings are capable of putting things together (burgers) and taking things apart (what's in burger wrappings).

10. Bod

Yeah, but...(2)

Will it blend?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like