back to article Google backs enormous load of balls for Olympics

A group of architects, in an apparent bid to win a commission for 120m towers topped by a cluster of giant plastic balls at the London Olympics site, has turned to Google for help. The dominant search engine will provide the group with free advertising encouraging the web public to chip in for the project. If "The Cloud", as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Original Ash

Awesome!

DON'T SPEND MONEY ON BRING THE ECONOMY BACK INTO LINE OR ANYTHING, BLOW IT ALL ON A GIANT FUCKING BUBBLE BLOWER.

2. Robert Ramsay

@The Original Ash

Amen. I'm certain that there is still plenty of "large drinks all round" for all the mates of everyone involved in "running" the Olympics.

3. Teoh Han Hui

Chaos

"Each light could represent a person in the city, who can then choose to control it as desired..."

How will they make that work?

4. Adam Salisbury
    FAIL

@The Original Ash

Not only are they w@nking cash better spent elsewhere on a ridiculous bubble, but just like the rest of the Olympic village it probably won't be finished on time. Either that or it'll be another millenium dome :(

I want what Gordo and his cronies are smoking because they sure as hell aren't on this bloody plenet!

5. Chimpofdoom!

In the words of Al Murray...

London 2012 Olympics...

'it's gonna be a bit sh*t'

6. Marvin the Martian
    Troll

Paging mr. Bigears

Ach, it's UK architecture that's not neoclassical? Expect a certain prince to come & try ruin it.

7. mwk
    WTF?

So, if I chip in a fiver

does that mean I get a cut of the advertising revenue?

Sounds like a way to get the public to pay for your billboards to me.

8. frank ly
    FAIL

Architects.....

"...their footsteps harvested by energy-collecting devices that transform the people's potential energy into electricity".

And slow them down a lot if this can 'harvest' any useful amounts of energy from them.

Don't you just love it when architects try to do anything practical?

9. Aremmes
    Paris Hilton

Wasted opportunity

If they want to build a monument with giant balls as its most prominent feature, putting just a couple of balls next to the Gherkin ought to do the trick.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Rip off

I've seen this before, minus the bubbles. Captain scarlet fell off it in the pilot episode.

11. Red Bren
    FAIL

More light pollution

Just what London needs. I suppose they could always show a video feed of the night sky :-(

12. Christoph
    Unhappy

Bloody great bubbles?

How near do I need to be to pop one with a laser pointer?

Why would I want to pay for gigantic advertising hoardings filling the sky?

13. Mike Flugennock
    FAIL

Crowd farm? Own an LED? People power the Cloud...?

>BOOM!< Ouch. My brain just exploded.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

where do I sign up

to boost the chances of someother design.

Working on the basis that as a taxpayer I want the cheapest olympics possible and not to put the cash in the hands of a bunch of pseuds who would be better off getting back to the lego and mecano

15. Stratman

Won't it look wonderful

when it's covered in pigeon shit.

16. Adrian Esdaile

On behalf of those of us...

On behalf of those architects who have to work for a living, rather that simply spout poncy waffle with big words you have to look up in the dictionary, wear bow ties and drive bloody Saabs badly; I sincerely apologise for any embarassment or inconvenience some of my fellow architects have caused.

And to those architects: Give me a job! I can wear black, use an iPhone, drive a Saab and spout bullshit as good as the rest of them! I'll work for 85% of what you're paying those monkeys!

17. Rattus Rattus
    Thumb Down

iWank 2.0

Look, has tossing off as publically as possible become a sport in your bloody country or what? God, I hope my hometown never, EVER gets to host the Olympics.

18. Dave Harris
    Thumb Up

Fortune's always...

Maybe it's just me but I like the idea of a bunch of giant Bubbles over East London. Just hope they don't Fade and die.

@Adam Salisbury, just how the fuckity fuck is this idea anything to do with Brown?

19. This post has been deleted by its author

20. Thomas Swann
    WTF?

The Ocean Is Silent

'Cause they've clearly stole all the f***ing whale-song.

21. Stratman
    Thumb Up

Re Dave Harris

It's certainly not just you.

COYI!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like