back to article Judge OKs Sprint's $30m overcharging settlement

A federal judge has given Sprint Nextel initial approval to pay $30m to settle a class-action lawsuit accusing it of colluding with other phone companies to overcharge customers. Qualified customers will receive prepaid calling cards from a cache worth $25m. Attorneys get the remaining $5m for fees and costs. The case, struck …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Donaly

why don't they just lower my bill

This is believe it or not local news for me I live near KC

and Sprint, Lungstrom's not unfair normally so this is probably

as good as it gets. What I would like to know is what brain trust thought this was a good idea this is too easy to check and many people I know

are phone bill sleuths for obvious reasons (they are known to rob you).

You would think they would just raise their rates if they wanted this

kind of chump change.

2. Aquilus

Title

The $5 million attorneys fees should be handed over as pre-paid call cards too. Seems only fair. Perhaps that way, the lawyers might push harder for an actual cash settlement next time...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stop

typing

double

fucking

spaced!!!

4. Claude Wadsworth

Robbed With A Pencil

We all know , or should have known that huge Corp. Like AT&T , Sprint and nextel pay high dollar accountants and lawyers to sit up late nights figuring

out to steal from us sheep with a pencil..I had rather be robbed with a gun..

and I think the reason that sprint , nextel and AT&T gave those hundreds of customers the boot for calling customer service too much. Those customers were calling customer service trying to find out what the ( Federal universal service fee) is and why they were being charged so much for it,,. the. customer service dept was apparently unable to explain those fees and decided to just get rid of those customers that kept calling asking about them. The customer service department had no idea what FUSF ( federal universal service fee) was, could not explain , and therefore gave them the boot...thats the way the big boys solve their problems..

5. Claude Wadsworth

Stealing with a Pencil

We all know , or should have known that huge Corp. Like AT&T , Sprint and nextel pay high dollar accountants and lawyers to sit up late nights figuring

and I think the reason that sprint , nextel and AT&T gave those hundreds of customers the boot for calling customer service too much. Those customers were calling customer service trying to find out what the ( Federal universal service fee) is and why they were being charged so much for it,,. the. customer service dept was apparently unable to explain those fees and decided to just get rid of those customers that kept calling asking about them. The customer service department had no idea what FUSF ( federal universal service fee) was, could not explain , and therefore gave them the boot...thats the way the big boys solve their problems..

6. Tom

Just try to find out where the money goes...

I have several phone bills, and they include a "local tax" which I am supposed to pay. While this is all fine and good, I'd like to know who (or what) the money goes to. I mean the local phone company MUST know since it is the collecting agency. Not so fast. In my many attempts to get an explaination of this "local tax" I've gotten nowhere. It is frustrating to me since the service location is in a much different area from the billing address. Perhaps we should require anyone who collects a "tax" to mention who it gets paid to. Here in the USA, it could be any of at least 4 jurisdictions (federal, state, county, city) and might even support the local dog catcher for all I know (Now I understand why this country despises taxes so much!).

Oh, well. It will only happen when there is some intellegence in government (and I'm not holding my breath!).

7. Claude Wadsworth

Stealiing with a pencil

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like