back to article Doctor sentenced for massive online Rx factory

A Virginia doctor has been sentenced to serve a year in prison on charges he wrote as many as 100,000 internet prescriptions over a three-year span. Torrino Jennings of Mechanicsville, Virginia, received the sentence after pleading guilty in July to 11 felony counts, including introducing misbranded drugs into interstate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sign of the Times..

As you yourself should know (living in California) this is simply the internet equivalent of the Mexican pharmacy.. which wrote their own prescriptions and sent you on your merry way in much the same fashion as these online drug peddlers. The ads sponsored by Google next to your article tell me this won't make even a small dent in the supply. Still I'm of the opinion that if people want the joys of dialysis for the short number of years they remain alive, purchasing poisonous narcotics online is pretty much their own affair.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Costs of drugs

"Studies over the past year and a half have shown that many sites peddling controlled drugs don't require prescriptions and, indeed, often deliver counterfeit products."

Drugs are so expensive here in the 'States that we can afford to keep trying internet pharmacies at random until we find one that ships actual drugs.

3. JC 2
    Megaphone

It was Bound To Happen

By allowing outrageous RX bills in the US, we open the door for 3rd parties to step in with the risk seeming worth the savings. Back in the day you could just visit a crooked doctor and get the script, it just cost a few bucks more.

4. b166er

No way!

Mechanicsville! That's my new favourite. It was Buzzsaw County.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh please....

"Studies over the past year and a half have shown that many sites peddling controlled drugs don't require prescriptions and, indeed, often deliver counterfeit products."

I've ordered from online pharmacies for almost 10 years, with nary an issue, and quality products delivered for 50% or more savings. Many of these large online pharmacies are quite reputable, and one I have utilized for years, re-ships no questions asked if your order fails to arrive. I've also utilized great doctors and dentists in Mexico just across the border for 1/5 the cost of the US equivalent.

As for this juicy tidbit quoted above, scare tactics disguised as "studies" to scare the public and maintain profits for big corporations will never work on the savvy consumer, so long as health care is outrageous in the US, and people desperately need alternatives.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heh...

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why the American press mocked our National Health system so much... at least medication is affordable over here...

7. The First Dave

Explanation?

Please? What does this all mean in plain (British) English ?

8. kain preacher

@nick 57

It was not the America pres it was people like Rush Limbah that mocked the NHS

This topic is closed for new posts.