back to article Delays, password problems hit UK2 email restore

UK2.net, the web host which last week lost its customers' emails, is still working on the completion of the email migration - originally promised to be completed by last night. An update to its service blog reveals engineers are still moving emails across and hope to finish this process by tonight. UK2.net suffered a storage …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

MX Records

UK2 also added a new MX record to all domains they host pointing to the new mail system - even for customers who have custom MX records pointing to their own mail server.

The new MX record in our case pointed to a non-existant host!

2. tractor_saint
    FAIL

Way overdue..

Well, looks like the email I received from them on the 12/10 when I complained about the POP3 service has led them to take drastic action :)

"I was able to connect to the POP3 service with the settings you provided. It is probably because I just tested it now when there is not a lot of traffic on those servers. There has been a lot of high load on our atmail servers recently and are [sic] admins are working on a solution to this. They should begin implementing this solution within a week."

Glad I moved away from the service a couple of weeks ago although I'm still awaiting the refund from UK2 for the additional POP3 accounts - hmmmm.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Glad I gave up

I severed my e-mail ties with UK2 e-mail several months ago because of their repeated inability to fix issues with random bounces on my domain. The issue dragged on for many months with many "now its fixed" reports all to no avail. The comical thing was that their tech support would post a "it's fixed" message in the ticket which would get mailed to my address (hosted by them) which would bounce and the bounce message would get posted back to the ticket!

Running my domain myself now and it's a lot faster, more reliable and with several orders of magnitiude less spam - and boy am I glad I did ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Somethings never change!

This outfit was a bunch of toerags the day they started up, I am glad to see that they never changed their spots. I don wonder how they are still in biz though. When was the last time they had an inspection!

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"...if you’re unable to access your account due to..."

...complete and utter incompetence(*) and inability to understand even the most basic networking issues even when their customers spell it out to them in black and white what they need to do.

UK2 are quite possibly the biggest shower of ordure I have EVER had to deal with. I shall NOT be doing any more business with them.

(*) And by incompetence, I mean this in its absolute fullest sense.

Yours truly,

A poor sod that has had to recently fight with their "technical support" (no really, don't laugh!) only to find that yes, they really ARE that useless. But don't take my word for it - check out some of the comments on the ISP/hosting company review web site of your choice. The sad thing is, they USED to be ok some years ago.

6. Sooty

are they still

known to their customers by the affectionate nickname of UKpoo?

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Total rubbish

Still none of the promised 'salvaged' emails have appeared.

When I send test emails, they disappear, never to reappear.

What a total shower!

8. Michael 35
    Unhappy

Mike Bailey

Its a total joke, from a company who's customer service is allready very poor.

UK2 are very keen to collect the money but not so fast to deal with problems.

Total Chancers.

9. Neil Kay
    FAIL

I feel their pain...

On Sunday afternoon while working on a new system roll-out (not a biggie - 25 PCs and a server + a network switch overhaul), I smelled burning in the room in which we'd based ourselves. I tracked it down to the UPS on the mail server. That server & UPS were not part of the roll-out - they had been there chugging away for for 2 years - so I guess the kit must have just felt left out with all the new stuff arriving and wanted some attention. Anyway, the server was powered down to replace the frying UPS.

On startup, one of the mirrored drives had decided to seize and would not go 'ready', effectively freezing the server. What a to-do: I had to disconnect the drive, fire up the (Linux-based) server on one drive, zoom to the nearest PC World, grab a new 320GB SATA drive (we did not have a spare for that), shut down the server, install the drive, boot up, partition the drive and add it to the RAID 1 array. Total downtime? 2 x 15 min periods. Data loss = zero. Array failures? Meh!

Worse time of my life - stepping into PC World, that is!

10. flyingchap

IMPORTANT WARNING FOR UK2 USERS

I'm a UK2 user (suffering on for the moment - I have too many domains to move at the mo) - and I've been observing this "mail migration" today.

They seem to be moving the UK2 mail content TO THE USA: the main mail.uk2.net mailserver is now reporting (as of today) a new target IP address [216.40.42.128] in North America, and the HTTPS certificate reports "wrong target site" in Firefox when the webmail client is used.

I think they're badging a discounted Webmail client service from the US: 216.40.42.128 reverse-checks as a company called "HostedEmail.com". And if you look under the bonnet of the Webmail pages, there are "branding" codes evident in the URLs.

I'm not sure if I like having my email text sitting out in the USA : I've put in a query via the ticket system. Who agrees with me ? Do tell them if you're not happy with this.

11. nigelhetherington

UK2 Technical Support - I Wish!

Despite three emails to UK2 technical support regarding POP access, issue stated as CRITICAL i have not even received a reply! This in my experience of UK2 is not unusual. They are the worst technical support I have ever experienced.

The last technical support problem I had was only resolved by emailing Stuart Parry ( and the BBC watchdog ) directly because despite several TS support tickets, they refused to acknowledge and answer any of them.

I have copied my responses to the current issue to Stuart Parry in the hope he will make TS respond to my raised issues. Incredibly I pay for this service ...

Can anyone recommend a decent service provider other than UK2?

12. nigelhetherington
    FAIL

UK2 Technical Support - I Wish!

Despite three emails to UK2 technical support regarding POP access, issue stated as CRITICAL i have not even received a reply! This in my experience of UK2 is not unusual. They are the worst technical support I have ever experienced.

The last technical support problem I had was only resolved by emailing Stuart Parry ( and the BBC watchdog ) directly because despite several TS support tickets, they refused to acknowledge and answer any of them.

I have copied my responses to the current issue to Stuart Parry in the hope he will make TS respond to my raised issues. Incredibly I pay for this service ...

Can anyone recommend a decent service provider other than UK2?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK2 email still unavailable

We have now been without POP email for 9 days. Requests for support are met with total silence. I have now lost total faith in UK2 and I am now seeking to migrate away to another hosting service. I cannot believe how incompetent UK2 have been over this email problem. It seems that UK2 are (a) technically incompetent and (b) completely ignorant of any concept of customer service.

This is not the first time there have been progblems with UK2's service. Our website has been down intermittently during the last year and email problems have surfaced before. I was always prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, but not any longer.

I recommend that others migrate from UK2 to another more worthy provider before their business suffers like ours has done these past 9 days!

14. Jonsi
    FAIL

Still no sign of migrated email or support!

I've been with UK2 for a couple of years and have generally been happy with their service - but the last few weeks things have rapidly unravelled.

When all my mails first vanished I was horrified - but relieved when the top dog let us all now that all mails were safe and would be restored shortly - by the end of the day. Phew!

As we all know they've failed to deliver for over a week now. I had messages in my mailbox that were important for me to respond to - but I have no means of accessing them. So I guess I'll have to wave goodbye to those customers.

Oh and don't even bother trying to contact support - I tried over the last few days of last week and haven't even had a response.

This topic is closed for new posts.