back to article Microsoft axes another 800 jobs

The bloodletting at Microsoft continues, as the software behemoth said Wednesday it would eliminate 800 jobs in addition to the 5,000 positions it has already pared this year. A Microsoft spokesman said the cuts will be broadly "spread across multiple businesses and locations," and added that the company will continue to hire …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Doug Glass
    Go

Desperate is ...

... as desperate does. I know it's early, not by Microsoft standards, but I thought Windows 7 was going to lead to a new birth for them.

2. Big-nosed Pengie
    Gates Halo

For why?

"The cuts come as newcomers such as Google and a bleak global economy have taken some of the swagger out of Microsoft's stride over the past decade."

Ah - that's good then. I was afraid that it was a reflection of the fact that their products are steaming piles of dog turds. Redoubled marketing efforts will undoubtedly solve the problem.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Doug

And here comes the afterbirth.

4. Jon999

800 jobs...

that is probably only getting rid of some dead wood on a 91000 strong work force.

I suspect a lot of companies are using the recession as an excuse to get rid of some people they couldnt have got rid of in good times.

5. Martin 6 Silver badge

Windows 7

Perhaps Windows7 is so great that nobody will need anything better and so they can get rid of the programmers?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Windows 7 - so stable less coders will be required

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMN-4byxyc

Old but entertaining summary of the 3 choices we all have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eTguZ5OzJ4

7. Hud Dunlap
    Grenade

@ Jon999

Microsoft is known for having a very large contingent of non-US workers working under the HIB Visa program. How many of those lost their jobs?

It is a myth that "deadwood" is what is cut during a layoff. Anybody who doesn't do their job can be documented out of it. The problem companies have with that method of getting rid of people is that the bosses buddy is probably doing even worse. Hence the documentation problem. But during a layoff the bosses buddy can be assigned to a special project hence protecting him.

I have worked in industry close to 40 years and seen many layoffs. Normally the ones who get laid off are the ones who have complained about their manager.

Even if I were to accept that the people who lost their jobs were deadwood, as much crap as Microsoft has put out over the years they have a lot more dead wood than 800 people.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No More Astroturfers

Maybe MS is getting rid of all the bloggers they have hired to push Lose7.

9. Charles Manning

"Most Challenging economic climate?"

Most Challenged executives in its 34 year history more like.

Microsoft's flounderings are far more a result of executive cockups than increasing competition than economic woes.

Try plotting MSFT vs NASDAQ for the last 5 years. MSFT is just a corpse floating in the water.

10. h 6
    Go

Maybe

Maybe Apple could hire them, to port iLife and iWork to Windows? Or help beleaguered Windows users to switch to Mac?

11. Jay Jaffa
    Jobs Horns

Stop the rot at the top ...

Take a look at the top of the tree - the deadwood starts up there. Take your choice as a CEO:

Steve Jobs

Sergey Brin & Larry Page

Larry Ellison

Steve Ballmer

How the fuck is he even on this list, he wouldn't be considered in the real world. Shift the fat monkey out and get things right from the top-down rather than the bottom-up

12. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

@Martin6

If it's that good dump the sales and marketing staff first as it can sell itself - be a nice change from IT, tech support et al being downsized, rightsized and hauled offshore

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And what about HR?

Move HR to Asia and see what chaos that generates.

Microsoft could also do what so many other companies do and move their very own IT department, lock stock and smoking barrels, to Asia. He-he

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Charles Manning

"Try plotting MSFT vs NASDAQ for the last 5 years. MSFT is just a corpse floating in the water."

MSFT is a few percent behind the NASDAQ, which ain't great, but CEOs have survived far, far worse. My NASDAQ-listed ex-employer is 38% down vs the NASDAQ and has had three years of breakeven at best, more often losses. Yet the highly political, bigoted and vindictive CEO is still there and seems pretty secure.

Monkeyboy's performance is stellar by comparison, so he's there as long as he wants to be.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like