back to article Pirate Bay clampdown prompted file sharing site spike

Attempts to shut down notorious torrent tracker site The Pirate Bay have spurred a four-fold increase in the number of file sharing websites during the third quarter of 2009. At least some of these sites are primarily designed to distribute scareware and other types of malware rather than pirated content. Net security firm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John I'm only dancing
    Flame

Zombies

13 Million Zombies, is that pcs or Windows users?

2. AC 4
    Dead Vulture

sdrlgh

"At least some"

well that certainly helps clarify how many of the new sites are distributing malware ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

(title)

Another reason for a spike at Xmas is the hackers who hit the businesses during the holiday break. Back in the late nineties, I worked for a company who had their FTP servers hacked. Probably due to weak passwords. The hackers then filled the servers with pr0n and warez.

It would of survived a lot longer if the R&D boss wasn't such a saddo that he went into work on Xmas day and spotted it....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

So what you are saying is...

Pirate Bay was actually good for the net because it kept the evil people from tricking you into installing malware?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Sounds like somebody is spinning here

to try to persuade the masses that P2P will get your PC owned.

Well, it will, but only if you're a complete fucktard.

I'm not falling for that crap.

6. Neoc

Someone explain to me...

...what the two halves of story have to do with each other? The first half deals with TPB copies springing up when TPB was threatened, and the second is about DOS attacks.

There's a mention of Malware in the first half, but even *that* is a tenuous link.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like