back to article Virgin America dumps servers, flies for the clouds

For a start-up, Virgin America is acting pretty big these days. In the spring of 2007, the low-price airline wasn't even flying. It was still struggling for US regulatory clearance. But suddenly, Washington DC gave it the green light, and on August 8 that year, Virgin's first commercial flight took off from its base at San …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cmaurand

Cloud Computing for a company

This big is a colossal mistake. Its not cost effective and I wouldn't trust my data to an outside company, especially a data mining company. The security and compliance implications are staggering.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

A colossal mistake ...... the Virtual Klondike? Not whenever you know what you are doing with chums.

cmaurand,

Some Cloud Computers have the field sussed and are a far superior option* over the traditional clunky fare ...... although it is true that as a new Wild West type frontier, the Cloud does have more than its fair share of snake-oil salesmen, and inept cowboys abound, and both will run riot with whatever they can get/phish.

* And can you imagine what the Future holds, whenever this is just the beginning of the Sector.

3. Zack Mollusc
    Thumb Up

Neato

I hope that the servers will be sent over to Virgin Media where they can be used to increase the mail server's storage from the pathetic 30 megabytes it has stayed at for the last several years.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, but where IS the case for cloud computing?

I don't see it. It's just another tool with quirks and uses, and this guy seems to know well that the details matter little as long as you don't get entrenched in your own bullshit. Like, oh, if he has his shop tidy he might rip out mysql and replace it with postgresql or even firebird inside of a month, change management and acceptance testing and all.

I'm still not happy about pilots depending on windows to know where they are, though. Fix that, fix the fallbacks in case of an emergency, and I'll consider them as soon as I'll consider flying again. For now I'm waiting for the TSA and DHS and all the other security circus folderol to keel over and die due to their own stupidity. But that bit may be why: You have no privacy left after meeting them anyway, so why bother? Cloud computing here we come!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like