back to article Wintel 7 machines freeze out iPhone

If you're having trouble syncing your iPhone with a PC based on the Intel P55 chipset and running Windows 7, you're not alone. For the past six weeks, complaints from users running this trifecta of pain have been clogging a thread on Apple's discussion board. The posts report that - in most cases - iTunes 9 for Windows will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So?

Now they must know how Pre users feel.

2. James O'Brien
    Troll

I need to ask here?

How many people are going to come out of the woodwork blaming Apple for this? Personally I do not see this as a failing of Windows 7 more so something in the design of the P55 chipset and the drivers for it.

/Troll because you know they will come out of the woodwork on this one.

3. snafuuu
    FAIL

Sync ...

Now if only Win 7 will let me fire up iTunes I can sync my Palm Pre ..... .oh wait.

4. Efros
    Pint

Nothing new

There was a similar issue with certain USB chips under XP, caused write errors to external CDRW and DVDRW drives, don't think it was ever resolved as I think the word went around to avoid certain USB controller chips if you were using an external optical writer. Mind you some would argue that anyone using iTunes or WMP gets exactly what they deserve!

Beer cos it's Friday night!

5. h 6
    Stop

Sounds like

Sounds like a P55/Windows 7 problem to me, if Win7 syncs with other chipsets.

At first I thought it might be an MS attempt to fail the iPhone, but after READING THE ARTICLE I now think it's not.

6. ThomH

Kneejerkers ahoy!

This is definitely morally equivalent to Apple/Pre, since Apple are breaking the terms of their USB licence and Microsoft have advertised their software as being incompatible with the iPod.

Oh, wait, that's not right is it?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's Apple software

Who cares - it's shit.

8. James 55
    Thumb Up

Good Microsoft

Good on Microsoft for getting back to you and looking into this.

Bad Apple for leaving everyone in the dark as usual.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Chipset errors? oh boy!

Heck, I'm so old I remember when certain LX 440 chipsets and certain Seagate drives didn't play ball together. Mainly because I was bit by it.

Seems to be a hardware issue because one guy mentions XP Pro works, but *very* slowly, and Vista dies too, so it's not just a Win7 thing. I'd assume OSX wouldn't help.

10. Si 1
    Jobs Horns

iTunes does crap like this all the time

If I plug my iPhone in before my iPod Classic, iTunes suddenly becomes unable to sync my contacts and appointments on the iPod. It did it on XP 32-bit and now Win7 64-bit. Apple don't seem to be interested in fixing it, their solution being to reboot.

I also had a weird problem where Win7 refused to finish booting before dumping itself back to the BIOS screen. As soon as I unplugged my iPhone it started working.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I have to agree

Anyone using iSpoons deserves whatever they get.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Oh for Pete's sake

It's not the fact that there is a glitch. There will always be a glitch. It's how much denial and finger pointing and FUD occurs before it gets fixed.

And I am sure it isn't intentional, but only because MS hasn't any phones to flog against the one true phone.

Disclosure, I don't own any of either companies' products, anymore.

13. Reg Sim
    Black Helicopters

I wonder...

I apple will not release a fix, untill there P55 Mac's are ready?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So?

I am an Apple Laptop user. But still --- I don't see it as reasonable to expect Microsoft to sync with any phone as part of the initial release of Win7.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's Micro$oft software

Who cares - its shit.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

iTunes works perfectly well on a Mac

Microsoft - sneer sneer, kick kick kick, sneer.

Apple - dribble, dribble, lovely lovely perfection dribble

17. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

All part of the Plan by Microsoft

To get you to buy a Zune.

Oh Wait. The Zune is not on sale outside the USofA.

Fail for obvious reasons and no, its not the Fault of Apple.

18. Neil 6

Typical Apple

Itunes decided to stop recognising my Ipod shuffle about 2 years ago, and I'm not alone. The solution? Buy a newer ipod. No thanks.

Then I found songbird and everything is fine. Itunes is a terrible piece of software.

19. blackworx
    Thumb Up

@ Efros

"some would argue that anyone using iTunes or WMP gets exactly what they deserve!"

now that's the kind of analysis I can agree with

20. mrweekender
    FAIL

So then...

..this is where it begins, or rather continues. Same old Microsoft = same old shit!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's an El Reg Commentard

Who cars? It's shit.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All the MS bashing comes over as sour grapes

Wow, why won't don't they rename this site the anti-ms site, as that's all it is.

The bias on here is simply astounding. This is aimed at the site and most (not all) who post comments, especially all the M$ comments (how childish can you get?)

23. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Windows has detected an error?

Not used Win7 yet, but curious about MS pleading ignorance. When stuff crashes in previous versions, up pops a box letting you know it wasn't MS's fault and asking to check for problem/solution. In all my time using MS, I don't remember that ever providing any useful info, but I thought the crash logs were collected by MS?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

FFS People! Read the article at least ...

.. before you go spouting your anti-Apple, anti-Microsoft crap. Fucktards!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whatever next

Apple will be blaming AMD for the faulty iMac's just released.

26. Shakje

Sounds like...

hardware drivers, nothing else.

27. bex

p55

P55 boards are fairly high end being I5/I7 boards and as most people using intel cpus will have 775 boards the fall out from this should be limited and hopefully soon sorted out

28. K Cartlidge
    Thumb Up

Kudos where due

So Microsoft haven't been approached directly, but appear to have spotted the issue elsewhere online (maybe El Reg by the sounds of it), proactively read Apple's boards and started investigating. I'm actually impressed.

29. kain preacher

Intel and crap drivers

So intel provides crap drivers and leave it up to MS to fix their errors. You would think Intel would be able to do proper testing. It's not like the Iphones are some obscure product .

30. Robert E A Harvey

@ K Cartlidge

I almost agree.

Thing is, though, how easy is it for joe soap to advise microsoft of a bug in their code? They don't have anythng like a bugzilla

31. OffBeatMammal

MS seem to care more than Apple... and still people bitch?

I'm with K Carlidge and James 55 here... doesn't sound like it's a Win7 issue but something screwy with the p55 platform - which means it's either down to 3rd party drivers that MS doesn't control or Apple crapware .... yet the convoluted reasoning some folks spout to make sure Apple are not at fault is laughable.

re AC at 15:08 ... yes the crash logs (Watson/WinQual) do go to MS but any ISV worth their salt has a pipeline to receive reports for their app - it's free from MS (though you do need a Verisign cert to prove you are who you say you are) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/isv/bb190483.aspx

32. John Bailey
    Linux

So let me get this straight..

So let me get this straight....

Apple hardware and software "just works".

Windows has drivers for everything and is compatible with all hardware.

Intel makes the market leading processors and they also make the chip set for the mother boards that use the processors..

And the three together make a system that can't sync a phone.. BWHAAAAAA!!

Now you know how annoying it is for us Linux users when a hardware vendor mucks up a driver!

Realistically.. Give them a chance.

The OS has only been out a couple of weeks. iTunes possibly needs some tweaks to work properly with it, and new chipsets are always temperamental for a while.

Newsflash.. Never expect a new OS to be stable for at least a few months. Especially on fussy non standard hardware like the iPhone. Personally, I'd give it a year for things to settle down and the problems to stop.

33. Francis Fish
    Alien

Why is iTunes so shit

Never understood why. Apple seem to be able to do most things pretty well. But the one piece of software that Windows users see every day? Makes no sense, does it?

34. ThomH

@All the MS bashing comes over as sour grapes

Have either of you actually read the article? It's neutral about who is to blame and, in the updated version at least, makes it clear that Microsoft are looking into the problem.

Now look at this comments page. By my count there are 8 comments negative on Apple, 4 comments negative on Microsoft, 1 comment negative on both companies and 9 that aren't directly negative about either prior to the AC's claim that "The bias on here is simply astounding. This is aimed at the site and most (not all) who post comments, especially all the M$ comments (how childish can you get?)". Have you considered it may not be everyone else that is blinkered?

Following this, there's a further negative Apple comment, a further negative Microsoft comment, a positive comment and another four that don't really go either way before OffBeatMammal's post, which I think is probably closer to the one you should have posted — alleging that those who are bashing Microsoft over this are wrong is entirely different from alleging overall bias.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

@Robert E A Harvey

No, they don't have Bugzilla. They have built in error reporting in the OS, as well as the TechNet and Win 7 communities.

Oh, and let's not forget, their staff can Bing a solution (trying to resist sarcasm on the last one.....).

As for the iTunes bug, it does sound more like 3rd party software vs. 3rd party hardware on a new OS. Not all that surprising.

36. Mectron
    FAIL

Poor Design

@James O'Brien

Poor design and buggy software are Apple trademark. so yes it is 100% Apple fault.

37. Lawrence 7
    Alert

2009 and the war continues

The epic struggle between good and evil, the right and the wrong, the loyal and the extremists, forever locked in a geek war of epic proportions, flanked by fanbois on either side, ready to put their lives on the line for their believe in the almighty cause of Apple or Microsoft, never to give in to each others views,

For all eternity the battle rages, throughout the interwebs, never is a message board, magazine or blog post comments thread free from the tyranny and horror of war, a cause that now knows no reason for its beginning, two fundamental forgotten viewpoints clashing like no other.

Innocent commentards mown down in the crossfires of Steves thrown by fanbois too young to even remember Overlord Bill or Grand Master Tog, the Xerox Death Star or the D.estroyer O.f S.ouls.

When will it end? When will it end? There can be only one. It will never end.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

DROID

Here's an idea: Throw your iPhones in the Thames (or relevant river) and get a Droid ;)

39. Neoc
    Stop

Of course, if I were paranoid...

...I'd think this was a ploy by Apple to make sure that anyone who bought an iPhone/iPod simply *had* to now buy an Apple computer/laptop if they wanted iTunes to continue working for them.

But nah, couldn't happen, could it?

40. tony trolle
    Linux

Linux time

Some Linux users have seen problems also with raw USB data which changing "C-state" in the BIOS fixes.

Any1 got the hardware to check ?

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is so boring

technology is not to blame, it is yet again masturbating marketing monkeys ruining it all for everyone else.

Interoperability is such a no brainer, but anyone who uses technology at a deeper knows you have to do your research because of the braindead marketing danglers.

42. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Personal experience of MS support

Many moons ago, I was working in a company that used COM+ as an integral part of out software. We have a niggling bug, where the MTS server would simply recycle an object, even though it had a instance count>0 ... we contacted M$ who asked for various logs, then sent us a few custom DLLs to produce debug. They admitted it was a fault and were totally unable to reproduce it. Eventually we had an M$ techie visit us, set up various custom DLLs on our server, and he rewrote part of the OS to try and catch the issue happening.

When he left, he thanked us for being so persistent ... he said that most people simply got tired of waiting (this took place over a 3 month period) and coded round the bug, which left MS unable to fix it, as when they got back to people the answer was "no we've found a workaround..."

So M$ support can be very thorough, when it gets going ...

Oh, the bug ? We coded around it (we wrote an object wrapper which had a try...catch and if the object was not instansiated it re-instansiated it before making the call)

43. Zack Mollusc

sync, shmync

If the gayPhone let you write to its whole filesystem you wouldn't need 'sync' software. Yet again vendor ideology gets in the way of getting the job done.

44. WinHatter
    Grenade

Jobs can't fly

a Mustang P55 ... but I'd love to fly one of the P51 around Balmer's house.

45. Frank Bough
    WTF?

"Anyone using iSpoons deserves whatever they get"

Why? Is an iTunes user banging the girl you adore?

46. OC
    Alert

@AC 2nd Nov 11:34

It's quite clear that the majority of people posting comments are either a kid with nothing better to do with bashing Microsoft or Apple. OR! 30+ social retards. Get a life and stop spending your time bashing other companies.

With regards to the AC comment, I wouldn't be surprised if you're a 20+yr old virgin..........assuming that anyone owning an Apple product is unable to get laid. I own 2 Apple products and I seem to have done quite well for myself. You'll also find a lot of computer graphic designers stick to Apple and yes they get paid large amounts of money and get laid............fkin grow up!

47. Inachu
    Grenade

Windows 7 also freezes out OEM!

Called up microsoft to get support/complain that all Windows 7 OEM versions are being made invalid by microsoft.

I bought Windows 7 OEM over the weekend and I get a message stating my key was invalid.

WTH!

Grrrrr.!

48. NBCanuck
    Megaphone

Reality check

If I can lift my head out of this cesspool of blame-assigning, company bashing 'tards I have a neutral opinion.

For all three companies this is the time to buck up and just fix it. Everyone is so afraid of being in the wrong. Guess what? Shit happens. While I would love to do bisiness with a company that never produced an error, y next wish would be a company that would acknowledge the possibility of an error and put some resources (ncluding cross-company cooperation) to get it resolved ofr me ASAP.

Intel needs this fixed or risks it's reputation and sales.

Microsoft needs this fixed - they have what (from personal experience) appears to be their best OS yet and need to keep customer confidence high if they are to pull themselves back up.

Apple needs this fixed because 1) they need their phones and iTunes to work on what is still the largest segment of the OS market, and 2) to have future potential MAC computer buyers remain confident in the harware behind their OS.

Now....just everyone stop pointing fingers and fix the stupid thing!!!!

Apple needs this fixed

49. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Shit is always shit, no "counterbalancing" can change that

"The bias on here is simply astounding."

And, as usual, you don't bring any facts to counterbalance, just whining about the bias,which is even worse.

When a manufacturer makes shit, you rather call it good just to "get balanced view", would you?

How much MS pays you to do that?

That's much worse lying: You know how things are, but intentionally lie to "balance the views" as if the shit-producer deserves any of that. And you get rich by doing so. Lying bastard.

We demand the right to call shitty products shit and there are enough facts to back that up. Now, go away until you have facts.

50. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Pure PR

"So Microsoft haven't been approached directly, but appear to have spotted the issue elsewhere online .... "

That's definetely BS. Microsoft doesn't anything even if and especially when approached directly.

Pure PR-BS, they don't do anything now either, press releases about intentions to do something don't cost anything.

51. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Intel is a abusive monopolist

"Intel needs this fixed or risks it's reputation and sales."

Sales? Reputation?

Tell me again, since when you have a word to whose chip set is used in a branded PC?

As far as I know, you can choose between Intel's high price version or even higher price version. Everything else means you make your own machine and that's desktop then. No such luck in portables.

By the pricing Intel uses, you (if you are a brand PC maker) either buy Intel's chip set or don't use any Intel products (including and espesially CPUs) , very simple choice.

Only reason they didn't get in deep trouble as abusive monopolists as Microsoft, is that by company rule, any e-mail older than 3 months must be destroyed. Destroying the evidence isn't obviously a crime if you aren't yet under investigation. But to me it's as clear as confession.

That's reputation Intel rather lose than keep.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like