back to article Microsoft applies lipstick to MSN butterfly

With Windows Live and Bing, Microsoft's MSN butterfly has had its wings ripped from it in recent years MSN was once the flagship of Microsoft's online aspirations, led by the familiar butterfly logo introduced in 2000. The effort spanned search and advertising, Hotmail, Messenger, shopping, and maps, while serving content such …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

yeah right.

MSN, that awful place that hotmai redirects you to when you log out, and the default homepage of every copy of IE that I've ever seen, that's why their hitcount is non-zero.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

One sheds a tear?

as in

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1RXS1LB8atNX6qQTykjibi5nqlyJr

3. GrantB
    FAIL

The Island

Caught a bit of 'The Island' on TV the other day. Even with Scarlett Johansson, its a Michael Bay movie so not much worth watching, but the product placement was cringe-worthy bad. Obviously Microsoft had a part to play as there were adverts (made to look like scenes in a movie) for XBox and MSN.

Even though it was a 2005 movie, Microsoft were showing a future where people went to pay phone boxes (and supposedly paid) to use MSN search, complete with giant fluttering butterfly logo (Bay does not do subtle obviously, but the advertising was so in your face it distracted from Johansson).

So only 4 years ago, they couldn't see that MSN had no future? That to find information people would just borrow a Google or Apple smartphone rather than some MS video phone. So much for being innovators.

Some of us remember Bill Gates pushing the smart watches with 'SPOT" and have been around long enough to know that when trying to figure out where computing is going, don't bother trying to follow MS for a lead. They don't have a clue.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Pig

I believe it should be:

"Microsoft applies lipstick to MSN pig" (Lipstick on a pig and all.)

5. David Glasgow

Not so much a butterfly.......

.......as the impression of a butterfly.

Not so much a service.........

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Microsoft W@nkers

Hey Microsoft, you're w@%kers for doing this. . .

Oh, and for everything else you have ever done.

Oh, and for everything you are doing now.

Oh, and for everything you will ever do.

LINUX rocks! We love El Reg!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Ah yes.....

The MSN Homepage

The only page on the internet that has a bounce rate to rival gotse.cx.

I'm not sure which one I'd rather not visit more.

8. Christopher Rogers
    Coffee/keyboard

MSN

waste of time.

9. slack
    Paris Hilton

hmm..

MS sells an OS that should be used for nothing more than turning a computer into a nice typewriter.

/Paris beacause I loooove her

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like