back to article Subterranean hive mammals may offer cancer cure

Boffins probing the secrets of fantastically long-lived and sexually active subterranean nudie hive rodents say they may be on the track of a preventive for cancer. Regular readers will doubtless recall our earlier coverage of the East African naked mole-rat. These hairless burrowers are well-known for the fact that they live …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Subtitle

>Secrets of the sexy, naked ever-youthful Mole Queens

You're joking in a serious article, right? Have you seen one? They must be amongst the ugliest things alive. Whatever the male moles have to be able to get a stiffy when confronted with the female of the species then I want some.

2. Ross 7
    Coat

2 points

1. If it arrests aging rather than reversing it, can I ask that they hurry up with the pills!

2. There's a publication called PNAS? Is it just me that giggled?..

3. David Dawson
    Coat

I for one

welcome our naked, randy octogenarian overlords; or their rat familiars.

4. peyton?
    Pint

Better answer?

Mole rats are ugly little critters. I'm guessing it takes a healthy dose of red wine to get to the point where the old queen starts looking attractive.

'Course, some may prefer beer, which may fight teh cancer too!

5. Dave Harris
    Thumb Up

Again

Rufus FTW!!! (or Rufusettle? Rufella?)

"Somany molerats, sooo...... naked" - Lord MonkeyFist

And where's Ron in this picture?

6. Joe User

Gene that induces "cell claustrophobia"

"It's very early to speculate about the implications, but if the effect of p16 can be simulated in humans we might have a way to halt cancer before it starts."

Either that or you'll disintegrate into a puddle of goo....

7. W.S. Burroughs
    Welcome

Rufus - full on!

Beauty is in the eye... at least they won't get lice. Nor do they steal your car or pee in the lift, so leave the little super-shaggers alone, I say.

What would happen if someone stuck p16 into a defanged retrovirus as delivery mechanism? This is probably naive - for one thing the gene might need to be in the right place to be expressed usefully, but that seems like just another technical challenge. Can we look forwards to the day when kids get their anti-cancer shot around the same time as their MMR, etc. jabs. Any gene genies out there care to illuminate?

8. jake Silver badge

The cognizant reader ...

... would do well to note that ElReg isn't discussing Mall Queens, although the adults amongst us probably find either set to be equally palatable.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lord help us all

So Science wants to transform us all into 70-somethings that look 30. Hairless, and probably toothless as well, And randy as heck. No, scratch that, we don't need no P16 to stay frisky until our 70s.

Can you imagine the nightmare in establishments for singles ? Nobody would know if that cute thing at the end of the bar is indeed a ravishing thirty year old, or a husk twice that age that might break a hip if the fun gets a bit rough.

Then again, knowing the male mentality, it probably wouldn't matter.

From an other perspective, I guess that women would welcome the elimination of menopause with open arms - except some of them. Um, does this P16 gene ensure that women will like sex ? I think somebody should research that before we have half a planet full of angry women continually beating off randy suitors with stiletto heels.

10. Simon B
    Thumb Up

Excellent stuff

Excellent stuff

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like