back to article Barclays computers suffer Monday morning meltdown

Barclays online banking suffered intermittent service for about an hour this morning. The issue also hit some other systems at the bank. We received several emails from readers unable to log in to their accounts and one unable to make a purchase using their Barclays business debit card. The business banking contact number was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7
    Thumb Down

"Everything should be working again now though"

They dont KNOW its working?

2. A. Lewis

Still not working for me.

As of 1pm, my debit card isn't working at all. The man in the bank advised me it was still down nationally.

3. The Impostor
    FAIL

And some ATMs?

Once I finally got through to Barclays on the phone I was told they had been having issues for about an hour and a half and that some ATMs were affected as well. I'm wondering if it affected merchant services in shops at all?

Do other banks have these kinds of problems so regularly?

4. ElNumbre
    FAIL

Two Words.

Merchant Bankers...

5. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!

@ The Imposter

"Do other banks have these kinds of problems so regularly?"

I use NatWest, and, to be fair, I have never encountered their online banking or phone support service to be down, nor have I ever had a problem with their debit / credit card services, either by ATM or card payments. And every person I've spoken to on the phone or in branch speaks English to a level at least sufficient for the purpose (even if it isn't their native tongue). Not bad for about 8 years with them, if they could just sort out the staffing levels in branch at lunchtime (all their staff seem to disappear on lunch at 12.02 as the queue exponentially increases) then I would be a happy bunny. Apart from their crap products, but show me a bank with consistently good ones?

6. TrevorPrinn
    FAIL

Clock?

It keeps logging me out saying that I haven't used it for more than 10 minutes. I haven't managed to stay logged in for more than 10 seconds yet. I think a clock hasn't been changed somewhere.

7. Quotes
    FAIL

It's still borken (1.30pm)

If you manage to get past the PINSentry login and dare to request your online statement you'll still see "5 - Sorry - Barclays Online Banking is currently unavailable".

8. nickrw

Crossed off the list

I'm shopping around for a new bank account at the moment, guess who I won't be choosing.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Well....

Serves all the suckers right who bank with them off the back of those crap adverts!

10. The Jase
    Flame

PINSentry

PINSentry... biggest load of wank yet...

Tight bastards put you onto it, then don't bother sending the PINSentry stuff so when you need to make a payment to someone new, the bastard thing won't go through and it means having to turn up at a branch.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Ha

It's time for the "I told you so" dance. I've a couple of friends at Barclays - they complained loudly that IT was "barely coping" before the cuts. Afterwards, they were running a book on how long before something went BANG in public. Just had an email from one of them saying they're all quite suprised no-one had collected until today.

(Happy, because I'm owed a beer, and now he's won, I might get it...)

12. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Which came first? The...

....laying off of IT staff or the failing of IT systems? Would love to know.

13. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Boffin

Rule Numero Uno

"Which came first? The......laying off of IT staff or the failing of IT systems? Would love to know." ...

By Anonymous Coward Posted Monday 26th October 2009 14:04 GMT.

Crikey, AC, every man and his dog should surely know not to tangle with the BOFH and PFY..... for nothing but pain and disaster follow.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@The Impostor .. Try Abbey the *ankers *ank

Do other banks have these kinds of problems so regularly?..

its a miracle if Abbey / Santander works with no problems for a week

when they "upgraded" their Business Site/accounts they simply merged many private and Business Accounts - if you had a Business and Private accnt with same username they suddenly "Linked" the accounts - one username and password gave access to both - thats what happened to me!

nothing like doing a "join" on your sql when your'e too f*****n stoopid to understand the result!

.. they apply their "internal" transactions late on Saturday afternoon but don't credit yours till Monday Night... but "it's not intentional"

Time for a Santander - the new name for a *ankers *ank

15. John70

Timebomb

Did one of the laid off staff insert a timebomb into the code?

16. AndrueC Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

I bet that..

..you can still see their stupid adverts when you attempt to log in. That's all that seems to matter to Barclays these days. Access to our accounts is clearly of secondary interest.

Paris because what she advertises is worth having.

17. RTNavy
    FAIL

Two Sides

Of course management will blame it on improper IT workers, and the workers will blame it on improper management.

Guess what, the only thing that is "correct" is the IT part.

Both sides are most likely exaggerating their claims,

It is likely there are some outright lies on one or both sides.

Outcome, it will cost the customers more time and money.

18. Zimmer
    Coat

A WUNCH

The new collective term for a group of bankers ??

A Wunch, maybe??

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@John70

Don't need no timebomb.

What most of the public don't realise is that most systems running in the UK are held together by the good will and hardwork of dedicated IT staff working under very tough conditions.

While the beancounters are happy brag to the stockmarket how much money their "new high tech online system thingy" produces, they seldom remember this when the hardworking SOB who maintains the system tells them that they need £20,000 for a couple of new servers to keep it running.

So why the surprise that things stop working when they tell the IT staff, 'thanks for all the hard work, but we can save a couple of thousand pounds if we outsource your jobs to the lowest bidder'

20. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Paris Hilton

Wasn't working at 4:30

Our company account was still inaccessible at 4:30pm, as I was planning to pay the VAT today.

To the question about do other banks suffer this, I've never had an IT problem with NatWest in years (other than their website used to be awful) and HSBC site was down once in the 5 years the company banked with them.

Joined Barclays this year, and have had good customer service, but the IT is a huge mess, and the card payment network is as flakey as the website.

Oh and finally: Their website can't display the current day's transactions. How crap is that? Surely they must know today's status of our account? If we had to juggle cashflow it would be a total disaster! They can't give current balance, but call it a current account... Huh?

Paris because she's got a better grasp of technology.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

NatWest

The Natwest IT systems were down last Friday. ATMs not working nationwide (according to staff in local branch). Paying in machines in the branch not working. Large queue for the cashiers posts.

Not sure about online banking because, by the time I got home, it was working.

22. Vitani

Wasn't just online

As seen as I couldn't get onto on-line banking I went into my local branch at lunch time, as there was a massive queue inside I tried to get a balance from their ATM, and neither of my accounts worked. I braved going inside only to be told their computer systems weren't working!

Sounds like a bigger issue than just on-line banking.

23. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

worst bank ever

I've requested my bank statements for the last year and I've received them after 6 weeks. Also they were incomplete, so they are worthless. I have never seen and I hope I never will see such a combo of bad IT systems and stupid people.

24. Simon Millard
    Grenade

Retail vs Business

Being an ex-Barclays IT Guy, I was told, on numerous occasion, that Bracleys aren't that interested in the retail side of banking. Private, Business and International were the money makers.

This topic is closed for new posts.