back to article Wii becomes best-selling next-gen console

Welcome back to the top of the world games console totem pole, Nintendo - for next-gen machines at the very least. Sales data suggests that to date 9m Wiis have been bought, to 8.9m Xbox 360s and 3.7m PS3s. The figures comes from the Financial Times and echo the claim made last month by little known market watcher VG Chartz …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes but does it play BBC content?

Answer of course is no, it plays YouTube content but BBC content only plays on XP Windows PCs, the type typically not even plugged into the TV. I bet less than 1% of XP computers are plugged into a television.

I don't know how they reconcile that with the BBC Trust's Public Value test, seems to be a no brainer that the content should play on the devices plugged into the telly no?

And that access to BBC content shouldn't require acceptance of an abusive EULA or privacy agreement from a third party company?

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/11/1228241

2. IanKRolfe

Countdown...

"Wii is not next-gen," in 5..4..3..2..1...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Golden cities, golden towns

Insert comments from people saying that the Wii isn't really a next-gen console here: ..........

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmmm

but based off of those figures xbox has probably ended up having the most money spent on it (as in cash handed over the counter)

anyway as I said before, it may not be exciting but companies don't make money on hardware units shipped (they're just a useful metric for increading the important number) but on number of games shipped over the lifetime of the hardware and if you compare say ps2, ps3, psp in japan (about 80 games a a month) to Nintendo GC, Nintendo DS and Nintendo Wii (about 15 games a month.) You can tell who makes the most money in the long run.

You can wager the Japanese market will be well stocked with ps2 games for the next few years.

5. Mike Wharton

Next Gen?

I would hardly describe the Wii as 'next gen' sure it a successive iteration of Nintendo hardware, but next gen has become too much of a buzzword for latest technology.

6. Ian Ferguson

Next-Gen?

Please stop calling these consoles 'next-gen'. They've been on sale for yonks now, surely they're current-gen if anything-gen?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worst... Chart.. Ever!

I love that chart, it's splendidly misleading. Lucky the figures were written above each bar because otherwise it's miles out...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next Gen

Stop calling this white CD player with 2001 graphics a next gen console! Surely in this context the buzzword refers to the capabilities of the hardware and shouldn't be automatically assigned to any manufacturers latest console. I've played other peoples 'Wii' enough to know the sports games are plain unrealistic and on other games like Zelda the 'innovative' controllers are merely awkward and add nothing to the experience. It's popularity sums up a world obsessed with gimmicks and style over content. Prancing around your living room...how veeery dare you. Nintendo, If I wanted to play a challenging game with a character with a massive head I'd rather play scrabble with Stephen Fry.

9. Glenn

Negative comments aside

Nintendo dared to be different and so far it's worked out very well for them. They created a system thats fun and interactive. The Wii is geared towards everyone, not just hardcore gamers... something console gaming lost sight of years ago.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Give it a month or two...

In a very short amount of time the x-box 360 will start releasing their new Holidays' content, dramatically increasing their sales of the 360 console. For example, I have not purchased one of the 'next-gen' consoles, but I plan to shortly, and when I do it will most likely be the 360, primarily due to the depth of the games currently, and soon to be, released. Nintendo's sales will jump once again once Mario Galaxy comes out, but their other games practically have 'ages 7-11' stamped on their front.

The fact remains that while there has been a surge of sales for the Wii, there will soon be another surge of sales for the 360 and, eventually for the PS3. The only real problem with any of these things is that they promise the world and end up falling short, very short of their marks.

But, in defense of Nintendo, they probably have the two best devices that do not market the casual or even hard-core gamer crowds, the Wii and the DS. These devices are quickly finding their way into the hands of the distinctly non-gamer crowds (e.g. my parents, my father enjoys the NYTimes Crosswords), a massively untapped market. I would probably relate it to Apple's recent meteoric rise, primarily due to the iPod, and its ease of use. The best description of what Apple, and now Nintendo, is doing is saying, "You don't have to be an expert to own and operate a computer, just try one of ours and see."

The main thing that will keep Nintendo on top is the parents that don't really have to worry about their kids getting their hands on anything horrendously violent, they feel they can let their 12 yr old play unsupervised for some time, plus purchase a couple of games that they can play (or at the very least comprehend without a step-by-step guide) with their kid. Their decisions will influence what the kid gets at Christmas, and therefore influence the overall sales of both the 360 and the Wii.

I'm afraid the PS3 is in for a rocky road in the upcoming years, being largely ignored. I just hope that Sony doesn't do something stupid and write it off as a huge failure. The best thing they can do is skip the mention of incredible graphics and such and start importing a ton of games that may be weak graphically, but are enjoyable enough with that one flaw.

11. Vogelfrei

loss leader (re:hmmm)

Anonymous Vulture, you bring up very good points. However, don't forget that Nintendo announced that the Wii is not a loss leader. Console profitability was a factor in their decision not to compete on processing power.

12. Nathanael Rouillard

Current Gen

All the major players have had their new iterations; they've all moved into what was previous the "next gen" quite some time ago, so can we stop using that term now?

It's not next gen any more, it's current Gen.

Next gen is the PS4, the XBox 3 (or whatever they call it) and whatever whimsical but initially stupid sounding name that Nintendo gives to their next console.

13. Joe K

Oh bloody hell, who cares?!?

What is this, the 15th "story" about some tabloid style chart site that proclaims "x sells the most" once per week??

Who the hell cares, except the fanboys, and i wouldn't wipe my arse with their opinions.

If they all cost the same price, like albums, then it'd mean something, but they dont. The PS3 still costs a bloody fortune, i'm amazed its sold so many already, and the Xbox is dead in Japan and forever will be, the yanks love nintendo.

End of.

14. Daniel Snowden

Kudos to Nintendo

They've taken a cheaper console with terrible graphics (compared to XBox360 and PS3) and with the addition of an innovative controller, turned it in to a big seller.

Maybe Sony could learn a thing or two from Nintendo. Especially since Wii development can be carried out on a gamecube development kit (with the addition of a WiiMote)

Compare that with the Cell processor - even John Carmack thinks it's difficult to develop for! (And ID have no plans to develop for PS3)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: "Give it a month or two..."

Oh so right!

I might be getting older but I remember vividly getting my first console - a SNES - and the saving up to buy it. I can still remember the reasons too, and looking at the situation now I would probably do the same.

At the time there was only the SNES and Megadrive 2. Megadrive from Sega was more expensive - especially if you had one of those new fangled CD things (if you brought the stupidly expensive version). It had Sonic the hedgehog tho. That was a cool game, more so that Mario I thought.

Nintendo always had more 2 player games, and you could get a multitap for 4. I had a little brother so it was 2 players as much as possible. I brought a SNES for about £78. I seem to remember the Megadrive was about £120.

Looking at it now if I was a little kid which would I go for? The Wii. It's cheaper, it is more interactive, and its more "fun" - in the traditional point of view.

You can always come back from the pub lashed with mates and have great fun on the Wii (boxing anyone?). Frankly you could be on the verge of hospitalisation and you can still play the Wii. I've seen my grandad play it with my 9 year old cousin. My mum even played it - and she wouldn't even pick up my SNES controller! Everyone who plays one wants one. It's just good, old, social fun for everyone.

My brother used to eventually beat me at every SNES game. He'd just sit there til he was better than me. With the Wii everytime he gets away from his girlfriend to come round and I knock him out with my right hook it is satisfying. If I was just bashing a button?? Nah not as much fun....

(Tho we both get beaten by the 9 year old cousin... *sigh*. Wasted youth.)

16. Andy Bright

XBox numbers

I'm assuming this total is tripple the actual sales numbers. On average an XBox 360 owner goes through 3 a year, as apparently Microsoft has pre-programed them to turn themselves into brick with built-in disco effects.

The truly genius ploy of swapping address labels on defective '3 reds' units and sending them to opposite sides of the country is an inspired solution to a product with a 4 month life expectancy.

Next time they'll probably choose to not include a power supply modeled on Sony laptop batteries.

Next Gen? Well maybe in terms of advances in hardware technology the Wii isn't next gen, but the neither is a console that has zero content that hasn't been available since the early 90s. At least the Wii has a game that isn't just another Doom, Ridge Racer or Tekken clone.

And the best part about the 'next gen' Wii? Being able to 'accidentally' fire bits of controller at your drunken relatives. Awesome the way the strap breaks just as some bastard opens your last can of Tennants.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here we go again.......

"I would hardly describe the Wii as 'next gen'!, etc, etc, etc.

Actually. I'd say the Wii is the ONLY next-gen console. The added cpu/gpu grunt of the PS3 and 360 are purely evolutionary. They merely play the same boring shooters, just with more realistic onscreen gore. The WAY you play those games hasn't changed since the original PS (one).

The Wiimote make the Wii the first true 'next gen' console, giving users a much more realistic, immersive and interactive experience than can ever be achieved with the 360/PS3 thumb-twiddly controllers.

The power of the CPU/GPU and the screen resolution is, practically, irrelevent in comparison.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

Wow, fanboys are annoying.

I have a Wii *and* an Xbox 360. And the Wii is gathering dust.

*YMMV*.

19. Scoot

Mega yawn

@Anonymous vulture: I have a Wii *and* an XBox 360, and both *aren't* gathering dust. Both are cool in their own ways. And, anyway, Metroid Prime 3 comes out next month, so I'll be playing that *and* Halo 3!

The Wii *is* next-gen. It does things in a way other consoles don't. If people want to think of next-gen as better graphics and sound, fair enough. But next-gen shouldn't be measured by raw processing power, but by popularity instead!

20. James Pickett

Totals..

..are one thing, but the Wii must be selling a LOT faster than the others to have overhauled the 360, which was released earlier. I'm all in favour of smart graphics, but the gameplay's the thing. Mind you, I still enjoy the odd round of Space Invaders...

21. Steven Hewittt

RE: Anon Vulture

"The Wiimote make the Wii the first true 'next gen' console, giving users a much more realistic, immersive and interactive experience than can ever be achieved with the 360/PS3 thumb-twiddly controllers."

You're comparing the 360/PS3 with HD output and 5.1 DTS surround sound with the Wii's remote!!! If you honestly think standing up and swinging you arm like a baseball bat is more 'immersive' than Bioshock in HD with surround sound on a 46 inch display then you need to get your head tested.

The Wii is more fun, and rightly is a next-gen console as it's got something new or better than the previous 'gen'. The 360/PS3 are next-gen due to the immersion factor that it brings due to optical sound and HD output. (Plus online play)

I have all 3 consoles, and the PS3 is hardly used at all. (In fact I've used it more for firmware updates than playing games). 360 is for playing propper adult games with total immersion and escapism. (Bioshock, GRAW2, Forza, Gears etc.) I'll use the Wii when the guys around round having a beer to puch the crap out of them on boxing.

Heavyweight gaming machine (360) and light-hearted fun toy (Wii) are awesome. PS3 however doesn't seem to fit in with the the competition.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Different markets

I don't think it's that surprising that the Wii sold so well, for the same reason that the N64 did well... yet again they've focused on the cheeky fun and multiplayer aspect, except the Wiimote's added that extra zing.

As for the Xbox 360 versus the PS3, as a lot of people realised at E3 the potential of the PS3 has yet to be tapped, whereas I doubt the Xbox 360 has much left to give. The Wii's on it's own battleground, but on the other I expect Sony to come out triumphant eventually.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My head is fine

"If you honestly think standing up and swinging you arm like a baseball bat is more 'immersive' than Bioshock in HD with surround sound on a 46 inch display then you need to get your head tested."

Yeah, I am suggesting exactly that. And more.

Not just swinging a bat. Swinging a sword, shooting a gun, punching your opponent. All MUCH more immersive than sitting on your arse twiddling your thumbs.

Its the way you interact with the game that provides the realism. HD and surround sound merely improve the what you see and hear. As long as you are sat on your butt with a first generation controller in your hand you are still only playing with the game, you aren't in it.

24. Albert

Financials...

I have a slightly different view of the console market.

Wii is cheap and instant gratification, so (as it should) is selling well.

Xbox30 is the cost effective HD options

PS3 is the technology lead, but currently at a price that stops it selling in volume.

Going forward the ain revenue for the console manufacturers is license revenue.

I expect a lot of people will be perfectly happy with a very limited number of fun games on the Wii and so through the life of the overall revenue per console will be less than the other two.

Xbox360 – solid performer – some top notch games, solid business in America and Europe, but Japan is a non-started. So, will do well and will sell a lot of games per console.

PS3 – I believe it currently suits Sony to not sell a large volume of consoles at the moment. They are expensive to manufacture, so Sony is losing a lot of money on each console sold. Also, there are very few top notch games at present. Later this year early next year the PS3 star games are expected. At the same time expect a dramatic increase in the sales of PS3s and also the games. Giving the PS3 a strong position going forward.

My expectation is that Nintendo will do more than enough to be back in the fight after the Gamecube fiasco. Microsoft will gain more traction but will continue to perform badly in Japan. Sony will struggle for about 6 months and then assuming great games and a proper price drop will make a serious showing and challenge on revenue through 2008 and on units in 2009.

For disclosure – I do not own any of these consoles. I am waiting for the price drops, not only on the consoles but also on 40” LCD HD TVs.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...And that's just in the US.

In Japan, Nintendo long since disposed of both Sony and Microsoft, selling 3 times more than the PS3 and NINE times more than the XBOX 360.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/03/wii-outsells-ps3-three-to-one-in-japan-xbox-360-continues-nappi/

The US is just slow to come round to the truth.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like