back to article Ares I-X 'in great shape' to fly

NASA's Ares I-X rocket will, weather permitting, blaze a trail for the agency's Constellation programme tomorrow, lifting off from Kennedy Space Center's Launch Pad 39B. Launch Test Director Jeff Spaulding said yesterday: "I'm very happy to report that we are tracking no problems and the vehicle is in great shape." The Ares …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matthew 17

Deserves to be cancelled

The Ares programme although cool isn't anything new, it's just a return to the 70's.

NASA should concentrate on space beyond Earth-Orbit, however they shouldn't go at it alone, they should share costs and make space an international venture.

2. Annihilator
    Paris Hilton

4 hour window

What's the 4 hour window? I can understand most missions have windows of opportunity as they're attempting to get into a specific orbit, but wouldn't have thought that a non-orbital delivery would need a window?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We are tracking no problems"

so presumably they've either not noticed anything going wrong or have chosen to ignore it

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Metriperial

I know NASA have trouble getting their head around metric/imperial units but :-

Apogee: 150 kft !! kilo feet???!!!

This mission is doomed

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Could they not decide what to call it?

Ares versions 1 to 10..?

6. LuMan
    Paris Hilton

Uncooperative weather

So, rather than use their vast wealth, intellect and toy collection to establish what the weather will really be like, NASA would rather take a view on whether the weather will actually cooperate.

If it doesn't cooperate, does this mean the launch was scuppered because the weather is another communist entity, intent on bringing down the crusaders of the free world?

Quite possibly, methinks.

Paris - 'cos she knows whether the weather can be weathered, whether or not the weather wants to be!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

In great shape

Hold on there professor, don't get too technical on me, this IS rocket science after all.

I kinda expected that it would be in great shape, it IS going into space y'know, so no little holes filled up with blu-tac, or itty-bitty leaks of fuel anywhere.

So, has this guy got the easiest job in the world or is there something he's not telling us?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

This is a shuttle SRB with and end cap, Aries V looks like a few SRB's strapped to a suttle type tank and modified Saturn V rocket engines. Progress or what!

9. RTNavy
    Coat

Weapons

I wonder if the North Koreans are going to complain that the US might be developing nuclear weapons, and other WMD's along with balistic delivery systems....Oh wait.....

10. Kevin Campbell
    Thumb Up

could get amusing

"The booster stage will parachute into the Atlantic for recovery, while the dummy stage will come down with an almighty splash."

Bonus points if...

Aboard a Sudanese pirate vessel, somewhere upon the high seas:

Wiraj: "Hey Samir! Is that a big flaming ball falling toward the boat?"

Samir: "HOLY #$%& !"

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Annihilator

'What's the 4 hour window'

They have to close a huge area of ocean so that shipping doesn't have spent rocket stages falling on it. Four hours is the maximum the Air Force who run the Canaveral range is prepared to allocate.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

NASA - Not Again Silly Americans

Sorry Americans, but the rest of the universe is Metric - it's just you mob of loons that keep using outdated units from a bygone era.

13. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

I see your FAIL and raise you a WTF?

I find it humorous that you lot set the Imperial measurement standards and we former colonials are virtually the last ones using them.

Hey Ms Moderatrix: how about a Raspberry icon? The subtext could be simply "THPPPPPBT!"

14. Annihilator
    Thumb Up

@Mike Richards

Thank ye kindly

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like