back to article Redundancies loom in Pipex customer service

Pipex is cutting its broadband customer service staff, sources reveal. The Register has learned that the firm told 19 staff today at its Welwyn Garden City site their jobs were at risk. Pipex announced disappointing annual results this morning and has been the subject of sell-off talks for some weeks. Dominic Crolla, Pipex's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Court

Just what Pipex customers need

Customer support was bad enough anyway, without ditching a bunch of the support staff. I guess they shouldn't have spent all that money on The Hoff.

I used to recommend Pipex to friends, but the service began to go downhill. Their billing system is very badly broken and they seem to be unable to fix it.

With the way in which they dealt with such issues (or rather how they did not) and quite simply the impolite manner in which they addressed the two customers I had referred and me, I just had to leave.

I switched to Sky some time ago and everything has been just peachy since. Now I actively tell people looking for a broadband provider to avoid Pipex.

2. William Donelson

Good riddance

Truly one of the worst Cust Service departments ever, especially when including the Bulldog (Bad Dog) broadband non-service department.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

they werent customer services staff

The departments put at risk are Provisioning (approx 8) the people who make sure your new connecion goes live when it should. The Business sales department who manage some of the big multi line accounts (approx 4 people) and logistics (approx 4 people) who make sure your router arrives on time and in the right place.

These jobs have already been relocated & filled in the manchester office with new or "shuffled" staff. Some of these new staff members have recently been trained as they previously had little to no experiance of working for an internet service provider.

4. Ned Fowden

what customer service

the reason i dumped Pipex in favour of UKOnline was that they only provided part time customer service, and if you ever had a problem you had to listen endlessly to a recorded message describing all current known issues affecting their lines.

their product was good but their service was the worst i have ever experienced (from wannado to NDO to Pipex to UKOnline and now Talk Talk)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ask not for whom the bell tolls

They were scared of being too small to compete. This in spite of always being a niche provider.

The poor service coupled with the desperation to compete with the big boys will now make their fears a reality.

They are now unsellable as any competitor can sit back and watch them self-distruct for free.

Yes, it's time for me to get a MAC number assuming I can ever get through to their call centre !

A pity, this is what a panicking management results in.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quick to condem...

As mentioned under the heading "they werent customer services staff" the staff level is the same, they've just been moved.

Some people are always going to have a negative view of large companies since not every customer can be satisfied. Things break, problems happen and some customers sometimes fall through the cracks.

Those people tolling the bell should take into consideration the company that bought Pipex a while back have made some significant improvements and have been around for a long time. Give them time, since it'd be nice to see more choice for consumers not less at the top of the ISP food chain.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Victim

I attempted to renew a couple of .eu domains with a subsidiary company on the 10th and despite being charged am still awaiting for them to get off their collective butt and actually carry out the service for which they've been paid. In the past 7 days I've tried to make contact several times, support calls remain unresolved. I've even gone to the trouble of contacting Pipex and various other members of the group and got no-where. My domains remain in quarantine, just waiting to be snapped up by whoever is lucky enough to nick them the second they become available. This would partially explain why. But I remain utterly disgusted.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like