back to article World's smallest economy dives into web scrum

Imagine you're a dignitary from a tiny, isolated, rugby-obsessive Pacific island group. Wouldn't it be marvellous if the UK launch of your new internet economy could be scheduled during the Rugby World Cup in France? "It's a happy coincidence I think," said the publicist for Dot TK on Wednesday. The company aims to capitalise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson

Thanks...

...but there's no way I'm clicking on goatse.tk...

The problem I have with TinyURLs, and likewise these, is that you have no guarantee the link goes where the author claims. I'm much more trustworthy of full-fat links, especially in emails.

2. Kevin Whitefoot

Good to see a positive story!

I hope they can make a go of it. Looks like they have their heads screwed on. I especially liked the idea that it would reduce dependence on tourism. Sounds like paradise, perhaps I could move out there and telecommute.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More fun ahead

Wonder if they have a clause that says all cases for cyber squatting must be heard on the island. Then the whole island could become lawyers and earn shed loads. Even better make it a gambling haven as well!

4. Paul

For how long?

Google Earth shows there are 3 atolls, spread over 100 miles, with most of the dwellings squeezed into a small area. The environment look idyllic.

Unfortunately global warming predictions are that environments such as these will soon disappear as the sea level rises. If that happens to this economy - what happens to the .tk domains if there is no geographic location? They could relocate to Australia if allowed back post independence. Do the domains then migrate to .au?

5. Phil

TinyURL Preview

Before dismissing any tinyurl link you receive or find, why not try enabling the tinyurl preview before clicking?

http://tinyurl.com/preview.php

It basically adds one more click in the way of the page but allows you to examine the full url before proceeding.

6. Giuseppe

http://theregisterscitech.tk/

C'mon now, someone had to do it...

http://theregisterscitech.tk/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Third only to...

...dot-to and dot-nu in the "no website on this domain has a legitimate purpose" race.

I've always thought that .US sites in oregon had a lot of cheez potential. For the latest on national defense policy, it's www.them.or.us!

8. Tim Parker

First .tk URL that came to mind..

..was tcl.tk - glad to see that's in the appropriate hands !

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*Already reaching for coat before posting*

Someone got Goatse.tk already?

Yeesh, what an arse ...

*is already way out the door before anything launched can come close, so save your ammo*

10. Andrew

This has been around for a while....

I recall having a .tk address quite a few years back when i was too cheap to buy a domain

11. kain preacher

tiny urls

ca.gov

cc.edu

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like