back to article Barnes & Noble mulls Android SDK for Nook reader

Barnes & Noble.com president William J. Lynch has hinted the American bookseller will one day open up its Android-based ebook reader to third-party developers. But you have to wonder how far off such a move might be. "We haven't announced anything regarding putting out an SDK or setting up a developer environment, but we do …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MeRp

Name change...

why? Nookie means the same thing in the US as it does in the UK as far as I can tell... and, if anything, the US is more sexually repressed and unwilling to associate with such things than the UK.

Is there something less obvious about the name Nook?

2. frank ly

Marketing - the noble profession

The B&N ebook store does not sell books outside the US. "We're put in several mechanisms to ensure we're adhering to international copyright laws,"

This is not about copyright laws. It is a market carve-up agreement between the large publishing houses. B&N have agreed not to 'trespass' on the UK publisher's patch, in return for which the UK publishers don't sell to US people. So, here in the UK, we have to pay more for books than they do in the US.

Same old story.

3. nobby

@MeRp

maybe its the concern that it could be confused with Nookie The Bear. now that would be unfortunate.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Good format, better price

But what's the battery life with that colour LCD?

Competition is always better in a new technology.

5. Nicholas Smith

So no titles then?

"Publishers will decide which titles are lendable".

Uh. Yeah that'll work well. If it's a book I've bought *I'll* decide who I lend it to, thanks.

6. Ashley Stevens

GPL/DRM?

Android is open source so they presumably have to provide the source code to anyone who requests it? But then how does that square with presumably DRM'd epub book files?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Re: Name Change...

Really!?! How about Nook as in "nook and cranny"? What does that remind you of? A fat woman? How about a bar of soap? Anything erotic about that? Prison rape, perhaps? Morris Minor? That asexual enough for ya? Oh wait, it has curves and Morris + Minor = serious giggle time. Oh well, I give up. If everything you see reminds you of sex, you must have curly hair on your head. Sheesh, grow up, Beavis!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like