back to article Philips GoGear Muse

Philips' media player range has been undergoing something of a renaissance of late. Both its Spark and Opus players struck us as a thoroughly respectable little devices that sounded good, worked well and represented decent value. Now Philips has released the Muse and, even from a cursory glance at the spec sheet, it is clear …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Controls on the right eh?

So Mr Phillips, you have just pissed of 10% of the population. Why?

10% are LEFT HANDED

Fail for obvious reasons

2. Cameron Colley

Damn, so close....

With a more generous storage capacity this device sounds like it would be perfect.

Is there a dissasembly anywhere which confirms my hunch that the storage is not upgradeable?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

That looks great

I like it. A lot.

Personally speaking I don't think that they should 'take the leap' into touchscreen technology. Why? Because it's bollocks. The control area off to the side should take care of functions pretty well without having fingerprints and scratches all over the display area. The same convention also dictates that my computers have keyboards and my TV's have buttons on the case and remote control.

Touchscreen isn't everything, which is why everything shouldn't be touchscreen. Seeing anyone touching a display makes me want to break their fingers and Philips evidently understand that control can be accomplished without having to make wanky gestures on the same thing you'll be watching your films on.

4. gerryg
    Coat

@Steve Davies 3

You beat me to it.

However as someone so left handed I've never successfully used the numeric keypad, I have a keen interest in the statistics. According to an Economist article a couple of years ago, the proportion of left-handers in the population is rising to about 1in 6.

If we were any other kind of minority group we'd have a Government Minister (so there are some upsides) but yes I choose products that don't discriminate against left-handers and no there would be no point using this device.

It wouldn't even be difficult as everything is in software to reflect the operation of this device so it could have a left-handed option

It even happens. As soon as I click the "wrong" button on my mouse both openSUSE (installation) or KDE (use) ASK me if I'm left-handed.

Mine's the one with the left-handed chequebook in the pocket

5. Gary Riches

Really?

Steve Davies 3 and By gerryg... Really?

You can't use your other hand? So I assume you don't play games consoles. They require your bad hand to do all sorts. I'm a right hander and have to use a d-pad (very might like the controls on this device) with my "bad" hand. Why piss off 90% of the population?

6. Jos
    Joke

@Steve Davies 3

No worries. Darwinian law will take care of this. In the future the ladies will only pick the guys who can handle cool gadgets without holding them upside-down, leaving more and more lefties without partners, eventually eliminating all.

Jos

7. Jos
    FAIL

josv@flashnetworks.com

ahhrrr crap. Fell for the male-chauvinist trap. Ofcourse I meant that all -fill in gender--s will select partners who can handle gadgets without holding them upside-down, thus eliminating lefties, etc. Stop flame, there, fixed.Even added the appropriate icon.

Jos

8. Bassey

Re: Controls on the right eh?

Why? Don't you have a right hand? If not, I'm sorry. Otherwise, stop whining. You don't speak for all us lefties. I'm perfectly fine using either hand, thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.