back to article Microsoft to ban 'unauthorised' Xbox 360 memory units

The Xbox 360’s upcoming system update will prevent gamers storing data on "unauthorised" memory units, Microsoft has confirmed. The update – which also adds Facebook and Twitter support to the console, in addition to a news channel and dedicated music games store – will go out to Preview Program members this week and globally …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

LOL.

IS anyone surprised by this news? Microsoft's been screwing gamers over with overpriced but needed extras for a very long time now, and now they are locking things down further...

I stopped playing my Xbox about 6 months ago, when the good exclusives dried up and I cancelled by Xbox Live(that was not easy, Microsoft made it VERY hard to cancel). The Xbox has been gathering dust since then (I would sell it, but nobody wants to buy a RROD-prone XBox these days, it's practically worthless).

I have since seen the bright side, my PS3 takes any type of harddrive (mines got a Western Digital 500GB in it, the handbook even describes how to change it and mentions it does not affect your warranty), it also accepts ANY USB key for game saves/backups, and even USB HDD too...

Paris, as even she is not stupid enough to fall for Microsoft's dodgy money grabbing tactics and lockins.

2. Ivor Biggen
    FAIL

wow... got you by the balls

first thing Id want to no is why? why stop people storing 'their' data, on 'their' hard drive to use on 'their' console?

if I still had my 360, i wouldnt be happy. doesnt an offical harddrive or memory unit cost the earth aswell?

unlucky to everyone who this affects, just another reason to get a ps3 now boys

3. Marco Alfarrobinha
    FAIL

I love my xbox but...

This really is taking things a bit too far. It is just giving people a reason not to buy their hardware and move to PS3. Surely a bad business move?

It will not affect me but there are 1000's of people that use "unauthorized" 2GB memory sticks that will be affected and they will be forced to pay over the odds for and official, extremely expensive, 512mb which is useless.

Those people that have Arcades are being told: Buy our expensive HDD's or move. Guess some, if not most, will move.

4. Richard 116
    Gates Horns

wtf...

...is an 'unauthorised' Xbox 360 memory unit? lol! Never had an Xbox so I wouldn't know. However I do know that like AC I can put whatever drive I like in my PS3. I'm no fanboi but it's not often Sony look like the good guys!

5. VirtualMark
    Thumb Down

this is beyond a joke

My opinion of microsoft is rapidly going downhill. I had the first xbox and the 360 but i think i may go sony with the next generation of consoles, mainly because i've seen the capabilities of the ps3 are way beyond the 360. You can transfer photos, videos, music from a usb drive to the internal hard drive, you can upgrade the hard drive, and you can watch blu rays! Plus playstations are actually reliable. i got screwed over when my first 360 rrod'd, as it was before microsoft offered the extended warranty. They didn't want to know and would only fix it if i paid.

I hate microsoft points. I'd like to be able to buy something from xbox live and actually get my change. The most recent update on xbox live lets my buy titles from a catalogue of old 360 games, at the bargain price of £19.99. I could go to game or gamestation and buy these for a fiver! Not to mention that i have to download a few gigs and store it on my measly 20gb hard drive. I haven't bought the 120gb hard drive as i think the price is a rip off. You can get 1tb for about 50quid these days, whos gonna pay £90 for 120gb, its taking the mickey!

And don't even get me started on vista.

6. MarkOne
    Pint

@VirtualMark

There are some great PS3 SLim tradein deal at the moment. Whilst your 360 is still working, take it along to Gamestation/Game/CEX and get a PS3 Slim. You won't regret it.

The money you save in XboxLive and electricity bills, any small price difference will pay for itself pretty quickly...

7. Inachu
    Grenade

Did my research. this report proves I was right.

PS3 is the best choice over all consoles but only get the xbox 360 if you are

a die hard Halo fan geek.

There are so many things you gotta do to keep your XBOX 360 from overheating its crazy.

1. Keep the xbox 360 at least 10 feet away from any heat source.

2. Do not store the xbox in a inclosed space while turned on.

3. Do not keep the power supply on capet. Either suspend the power pack in mid air or have it

sit on some plywood. The carpet would only cook it thus shortening the lifespan.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Wait, what?

What's with the fanboys and FUD?

This isn't Kotaku, people.

9. OldBiddie
    Unhappy

[Clever title inserted here]

I think it's becoming a case of getting a bit fed up with the way Microsoft are treating paying customers.

The claimed reason for doing this is to stop game save hacking - but as you can do this with "authorized" memory devices too, it's a very very shallow argument.

Microsoft also seem quite happy to allow other "unathorized" devices like Turtle Beach headsets (though quite how they'd be able to stop these) - but they also aren't undercutting the official products.

This along with badly priced GoD and charging for content that developers had wanted to release for free, and you end up with even loyal fans starting to feel a bit jaded.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sony 1 Microsoft 0

I fail to see the logic in this cataclysmic fuck up by MS. Are they REALLY sure they want paying customers? or have they done a christmas deal with Sony to sell more PS3's - with this inept, stupidly fuckwit decision, I guess they must have.

I own an xbox 360 but recenty stopped paying the 40 quid a year for the online side as it was shite, more about what we can advertise to you while you pay us than anything useful. The new sky player might appease some but limiting users to "authorized" (read fucking expensive) addons is a joke. I am seriously considering the trade in at game for a ps3 now as MS obviously doesnt need loyal customers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like