back to article Sun's online Java shop prepping for business?

Sun Microsystems is expected to take its Apple-like Java Store live next month, following the release of new features in the next few weeks. The company told this week's OpenWorld conference in San Francisco that we should expect a "major announcement" on the JavaStore next month, which will change the online store's status. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been There Done That

Sun already tried this.

Java.com originally launched selling Java apps and it failed miserably.

2. Fluffykins Silver badge

What parasiteware will be bundled?

Every Java update comes laced with that fscking Yahoo toolbar. Nine times out of ten I catch the preticked install box but every so often I have to uninstall the crapware.

What will applications from the store be laced with? Sorry, but until Sun can demonstrate its professionalism with Java, I'll invoke bargepole rules.

3. Mathew White

Ick

Java apps, ick. I'd force feed myself web 2.0 sawdust over it any day of the the week.

Humorously, java was originally penned as a rich media layer for the internet, designed to replace flash. Took em long enough - but better than adobe air....?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ick

Let's just have a look at the timeline:

Java - internal Sun project started 1990......

Flash - grown out of projects started in 1993 by Jon Gay et al.

So either the Sun architects had used some kind of time machine to determine that flash would be a problem in 3 years time, or you're talking bollocks.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Java penetration

All the commentards seem to forget that Java has the largest penetration across all devices (such as desktops, laptops, set top boxes, TVs, radios, including the smartphones). Wake up, the world doesn't revolve around Apple and Microsoft, fanbois.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like