back to article Hitachi GST whacks Seagate in the Savvios

Hitachi GST is taking on Seagate by launching a fast and small hard drive that matches the Savvio's capacity and SAS 2 interface but has four times the cache. In the enterprise 2.5-inch drive market Seagate has a 15,000rpm Savvio 15K.2 drive - two meaning second generation - that offers 73 and 146GB capacity points and has a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Mellor 1

146GB SAvvio 15K.2 does exist

I've been sent this mail:- "Have another look, 146-15k Savvio 15k.2 is there. I got a couple hundred of 'em, helping me do profit since April 2009."

I'm checking with Seagate because it's invisible on the web site.

Chris..

2. Puff65537
    Grenade

What a waste.

You do realize that most enterprise drives are in a raid array and have the on drive cache turned off as a risk reduction measure, right? When drives start coming with battery backed cache let me know.

Grenade, for the monkeys that like to juggle with the pins out.

3. Anton Ivanov
    Grenade

Re: What a waste

Write cache - yes. It is definitely turned off by most RAID controllers.

Read cache AFAIK usually is not.

Frankly, 64M vs 16M is not likely to make a hell lot of difference in most production deployments. It will make a difference only if you have a clued up sysadmin who have optimised the layout by hand or if you have spent a hefty wad of cash on a system that does that for you. That is the minority of sites. The majority will just stick the lot in a driver array and format it which means that metadata (journals, indexes, allocation tables) and data will end up on the same disk (courtesy of flat RAID5/6). As a result any data access to a single disk will always be accompanied by some metadata access which together will thrash the cache out to the point where it is useless.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like