back to article US boffins use Obama dough to study clouds

The US Department of Energy, which runs the largest supercomputing centers in the country, is using some of the Obama stimulus money to take a gander on how parallel HPC applications might be deployed on cloud-style, virtualized infrastructure instead of on the less malleable parallel supers that the DOE's labs spend big bucks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. tom 24
    Happy

Oh, those clouds.

How disappointing. For a second there, I thought they were using the money to research something, you know, something that wouldn't get funding otherwise. Pure optimism, I know.

So, on the bright side, I'm still capable of optimism. And here I thought US politics had burned out that part of my soul, scattered the ashes over a landfill, and built condos over that.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

A Ponder for the Weekend

Seems to me that Magellan is a Project in Search of Core New Source Drivers with Revisionary Protocols for Establishment Assets/Current Intellectual Property ..... in the Atomic, Sub Atomic and Super Sub Atomic Intelligent Communications Fields [as is evidenced by the big DOE labs networks linkage]

That would elevate it into Most Definite Turing AI BetaTest Territory/Space in the Live Operational Virtual Environment of Cloud with ITs Stratospheric Covers/Cumulative Defence and Security Layers.

An Area which you may like to consider is already Occupied and Administered to by SMART UniVersatile Forces with Immaculately Resourced Assets.

3. Sajjad Syed

okay...

Am I the only one who thinks "boffin" is among the worst words in the English language? I find its popularity simultaneously befuddling and infuriating.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What were the skies like when you were young?

They went on forever – They - When I w- We lived in Arizona, and the skies always had little fluffy clouds in 'em, and, uh... they were long... and clear and... there were lots of stars at night. And, uh, when it would rain, it would all turn - it- They were beautiful, the most beautiful skies as a matter of fact. Um, the sunsets were purple and red and yellow and on fire, and the clouds would catch the colors everywhere. That's uh, neat cause I used to look at them all the time, when I was little. You don't see that. You might still see them in the desert.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Pirate

Intellectual Pragmatism for an Enigmatically Rigourous Jolly Rogeresque Capability ... C App AIdD

"Am I the only one who thinks "boffin" is among the worst words in the English language? I find its popularity simultaneously befuddling and infuriating." .... By Sajjad Syed Posted Saturday 17th October 2009 16:16 GMT

Sajjad Syed, You may like to consider that it is intelligently designed to be so ...... for reasons which provide stealthy security screens for Relative Practical Invisibility.

6. Graham Bartlett

Why Magellan?

Simple - it's going to get halfway there, after great expense and hardship, and then take a spear in the chest and die horribly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like