back to article Is Symantec entering the hardware business?

Symantec promised to wipe the benchmark floor with NetApp with its FileStore product, and it did, producing a record SPECsfs2008-nfs result, with Huawei Symantec hardware. What's going on? Is Symantec entering the hardware business? Symantec, describing itself as a software and services business, has produced a clustered filer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

huawei who?

huawei who ?

that isn't a question that anyone in the serious telecom business would ask.

2. Ilya

Good news for Chinese military

I wonder how do you bug a multi-terabyte storage appliance?

3. Michael C

more numbers needed....

OK:

3 times the number of disks, about 4x the presented storage, and lots more NAS heads.

only 50% more IOPS?

LOTS more energy I assume?

...and at what price?

and does it offer native Dedupe at block level?

Storage migration?

integrated offsite replication features?

Archival support?

OK, I They make a Veyron that can outrun F-1 cars at top speed, but at 20 times the price of a common sportscar, the only people who buy it are showoffs.

4. noodle heimer

call me stupid but

wouldn't it help to have the comparable NetApp performance score somewhere in this article?

I do appreciate the detail the article gives explaining the paternity of the joint venture.

5. Svein Skogen
    FAIL

Symantec Storage?

Hmmm. I can't see the article mentioning if this storage unit has a coinslot or a credit card slit for the compulsory "add more money"-service that comes with all symantec blackmailware.

Personally I'd pay double their price, to see their managers get one, just one, pinprick per machine their software has ruined the OS on.

//Svein

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Norton 360

This would be the same Symantec that has the Norton name under it's aegis?

As in Norton 360?

Yeah, I can see that being a storming success. You need the *huge* performance in hardware to get around the massive log jam that their shite software causes.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

It's a compelling solution for a soft appliance

Replication is included, snapshots, mirroring, storage tiering, NDMP, and the Symantec NetBackup client is embedded within.

It scales to 16 nodes and up to 2PB of storage.

I swear the price is under $7k for a dual socket system?

Remember this is a pure software appliance, sold as an ISO, but there are also strategic hardware relationships as well for folks that want an "appliance." Dell for example has one, and one other US company very soon. The chinese company is just that, for Asia, with big wins there with large telecoms and shopping sites.

I think time will tell as to how this product will turn out.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Norton .ne. Veritas

You wouldn't know it from the article or from the comments visible as I write this (sunday 11:54 BST), but some considerable time ago Symantec bought what was Veritas. The file system and other technology from Veritas (er, multi-client multi-vendor backups/restores, anyone?) is potentially rather more relevant to a NAS appliance than the (already-mentioned) Norton licence to blackmail which the Norton products, especially the manufacturer-installed "trialware", have become (surely no one actually buys this rubbish retail? Please?).

9. Tom Stone
    FAIL

Don't expect Symantec to wipe anyone out.

Symantec has one of the worst reputations in the computer industry for acquiring products and then destroying them. They also have attempted hardware sales over the years and there isn't a dealer with half a brain that would touch a Symantec hardware product. If he or she does, then they will be supporting an orphaned product within a few years. Symantec will abandon it for sure.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

And in today's non-IT news...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8313678.stm

"Online criminals are making millions of pounds by convincing computer users to download fake anti-virus software, internet security experts claim.

Symantec says more than 40 million people have fallen victim to the "scareware" scam in the past 12 months."

Apparently Symantec aren't referring to their own manufacturer-installed blackmailware.

Maybe they're getting jealous that someone else is better at it than they are?

Where's your coverage, El Reg?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like