back to article Amazon goes Kozmo in US

Amazon is now offering same-day delivery - if you live in certain large American cities. Today, the uber-etailer announced something it likes to call a "Local Express Delivery Option," providing same-day delivery for customers in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, Las Vegas, Seattle and Washington D.C. And it plans to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan Hall

Notice, no CA cities

This is because Amazon doesn't want to have to pay sales tax in California. Which they would have to do if they had a "substantial presence" here. As soon as they open a distribution center in Cali to provide this service, they have to start collecting the 9.25% sales tax from California customers for all on-line transactions. It ain't gonna happen.

Frequently I can get stuff from Amazon far cheaper than in retail stores here, because the lack of sales tax (at nearly 10%) trumps a higher cost of the item, even when I have to pay shipping costs.

2. deshepherd

not quite same day

but I remmeber when I was in California 10 years ago ordering a laptop from an East Coast shop at 8:55pm PST (just before the next day delivery on orders before midnight EST deadline) on a Friday assuming that at best next day would mean monday and was stunned to get back from a shopping trip just after midday on the next day (Saturday) to find a note that a delivery had been left with my neighbours. Admittedly when I looked at the paperwork the laptop hadn't come all the way from the East coast ... it had merely been airfreighted from Indiana!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like