back to article Bing advertisers on wane, says report

Microsoft's Bing decision engine search engine stomached an 8 per cent drop in all-important first-page advertisers during the third quarter, according to the latest report from search research outfit AdGooRoo. First-page ads are those that turn up on the first results page after a keyword search. Due out tomorrow - prior to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Slater
    FAIL

Say that again?

"Bing's biggest additions were online shopping comparison engines such as Nextag, k8yel.com, bestcompare.net, shopwhiz.net, and underpay.biz"

I've never even heard of any of those websites. Moreover, what does k8yel and Nextag bring to mind in terms of comparison price websites? Errr. nothing.

Horse, dead, flogging springs to mind. Get out while you can.

2. Wade Burchette
    Stop

Uh-huh

"According to AdGooRoo - a search marketing consultant that tracks search ads from a network of servers across the globe - Bing delivers better conversation rates than Google (as does Yahoo!). And you could argue that Bing is the better organic search engine."

Uh-huh. But according to Wade (that's me) Bing or Live or whatever its called this year couldn't find ice if it was standing at the north pole. I tried Bing, I really did. But the results are terrible, unless you need to search for something at a Microsoft owned website. If you click on the shopping links on msn.com which uses Bing, the results are all over the place from closely relevant to not even close. Those who do everything do nothing well. Microsoft should just quit and focus on not trying to copy everyone else's idea. Windows 7 is really good, run with that.

Yahoo is better than Bing. I can believe Yahoo is better organically than Google. But not Bing. And yes, I've used Bing lately.

3. Mike007 Bronze badge

@Wade Burchette

"But the results are terrible, unless you need to search for something at a Microsoft owned website."

you get good results from bing when searching microsoft websites? how the hell do you manage that? when i want to search for microsoft API documentation for example, i google it with a site: filter!

4. Chimaera

Maybe if it found what i wanted...

I'm going to echo the first comments, i tried to like Bing, gave it a go and came to the conclusion that it's search wasn't good enough.

The final straw was when i read about windows live skydrive online storage, i tried bing and none of the top results sent me to a sign in page, hit google and the first result is what i wanted. What amazed me the most was that for a microsoft product they've put it further down the list than a propeller manufacturer and even the wikipedia entry of windows skydrive.

If they can't even get their own pages indexed properly in their own search engine then it doesn't give a very good impression.

5. Ole Juul

Bing likes me

Google may be better for really esoteric searches, and it has some good features as well so I will continue to use it, but really, in most cases you get about the same results with Bing. However, I just Googled myself on Bing :) and despite having a common name, my insignificant home page comes up on top! How can I argue with that? Actually, that _is_ the argument. There are several well known people with the same name who should realistically rank higher - and in Google they do.

6. GazElm
    Thumb Up

@Mike007

I second that!

Trying to search for bugs on connect.microsoft.com that I have entered and know the exact title for still doesn't turn anything up.

Google all the way...

7. Daniel 1

Google it with a site: filter?

Mate, I just look at Google's cached version: those lunatics that run Microsoft Technet seem to be employed to move their contents around from one URL to another, using some peculiar hazing algorithm that makes sure that any content never stays in the same place for more than six hours.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Uh-huh

>Windows 7 is really good, run with that.

Windows "Really good" edition has been done before. Click the "full screen" link for the best effect.

http://www.jamesweb.co.uk/windowsrg

9. Dibbles
    Stop

You say potahto, I say look at different reports

This is one source quoting one angle; unfortunately for fans of shooting down everything Microsoft, there's a perfectly good report saying pretty much the exact opposite, pointing out that Microsoft's share of search advertising dollars has INCREASED over the last year - report here: http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=139620

10. magnetik
    WTF?

@ Dibbles

"This is one source quoting one angle; unfortunately for fans of shooting down everything Microsoft, there's a perfectly good report saying pretty much the exact opposite"

Right, so two advertising agencies have seen their clients spend more money on Bing and that represents a global trend how exactly?

I think I'd rather trust the data collected by a search research company than a couple of ad agencies.

11. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    FAIL

I guess it's true...

Bing

Is

Not

Google

12. Spikey
    Jobs Horns

Didn't waste my time...

Didn't waste any time trying Bing - It is from Microsoft, therefore, inferior.

The day microsoft releases a product that does not suck is the day they make vacuum cleaners!

-Mike

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like