back to article Montblanc punts £14k Mahatma Gandhi pen

Luxury pen maker Montblanc has caused a bit of a stir in India by releasing a commemorative Mahatma Gandhi fountain pen priced at a modest £14,400. The luxury writing implement celebrates the independence leader's "ideas of radical egalitarianism and simple living" with an 18-carat solid gold, rhodium-plated nib and "a saffron …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hollerith 1

The grandson said...

“I know there is a contradiction between the man they are commemorating and the product they are commemorating him with, but you can’t expect a company like Montblanc to come out with a cheap thing."

Indeed.

I don't expect Montblanc to commemorate Gandhi, full stop. What were they thinking? It just shows the tackiness of the luxury market. 'St Francis of Assisi mink slippers', 'Lakshmi bit-on-the-side silk negligee', 'Guru Amar Das if-you-got-it-flaunt-it diamond and platinum wristwatch'. Why not? let's not get it big time, all across the board.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Next up!

The Bob Geldof Live Aid commemorative diamond-encrusted swear box.

"Next time you feel the need to refer to an african government as 'a bonch of fockin boms', you can do so in the knowledge that a superbly crafted* receptacle exists on your desk to receive whatever small pecuniary penance you feel is necessary. This exquisite object is endorsed** by Bob Geldof himself".

*Each individual and numbered item is hand made by well-disciplined Vietnamese child slaves.

**"Youse fockin fockers. I never gave youse fockers fockin permission to fockin make that fockin crap.".

3. Jimmy Floyd

Perhaps not so daft

OK, so it totally ignores the great man's achievements and beliefs ... but will rich Indian businessmen see it that way? I respectfully suggest that those capable of affording such a ridiculous pen might not be the sort to care.

An interesting test of character.

4. Rafael 1
    Go

Why not a...

Jesus Assault Rifle?

Buddha Beer?

5. Paul 4

@TeeCee

Ye, but Geldof is a rich w**ker who would buy such a thing.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Definitely missed a trick there!

"He defended: “I know there is a contradiction between the man they are commemorating and the product they are commemorating him with, but you can’t expect a company like Montblanc to come out with a cheap thing." "

Well, if Montblanc absolutely feel the need to comemorate Ghandi then this is EXACTLY what I would have expected from them, it would have been a veritable masterstroke of branding to deliberately contrast their usual luxury with a product which brings Montblanc design ideals to a deliberately cheap functional product, say a pencil.

A large but limited production run would have ensured that just like the 'designer' 10 p shopping bags, these items would have become coveted, valued and a great promotion of the brand.

Biggest missed trick ever!

7. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I don't blame

Gandhi's great-grandson for taking the money but Montblanc deserve eternal derision for this (and I say this as someone who doesn't buy into the Gandhi could do no wrong school of thought).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@TeeCee

10/10!

"A comment is required, in addition to a title, and must contain text."

Numbers and punctuation aren't text? Web-monkey fail. No beers tomorrow.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Re: Why not a...

Or Muhammad stout with Ramadan bangers. :P

What a joke!

If they donated a fraction of the cost of every pen to some appropriate charity /perhaps/ they could get away with it, but otherwise, the irony and hypocrisy is just painful to witness.

10. Alan 6
    Pint

@Rafael 1

Get your Buddha Beer here

http://www.luckydrinkco.com/

11. Aaron Gilliland
    Coat

So...

When you turn the pen upside down, does Gandhi's diaper come off?

I'll take three.

12. LuMan
    Paris Hilton

Look out for the...

..Royal Crown Derby Holy Grail.

This beautiful symbol of meekness and suffering of a poor carpenter is exquisitely reproduced in the finest Royal Crown Derby, embelished with 22 carat gold and captures, perfectly, the poverty and destitution overcome by the holiest man who ever walked the Earth.*

This fine example can be yours for the modest price of £2,999.95, payable in 4 easy payments of just £5**.

"If Jesus were alive today, he'd definitely drink out of this!" - Rowan Williams, Archbishop Of Canterbury***

Paris, 'cos even she's not THAT cheap!

*In the Christian faith, that is.

**Following a deposit of £2,979.95

***This is a total fabrication (in case there are lawers about!!)

13. weirdcult
    Thumb Up

please can I

have a Jesus assault rifle. Gold plated if you have one.

14. Anonymous John

Re Look out for the

That's from Frinklin Mant, I suppose.

15. ratfox
    Thumb Down

In other news

A tornado appeared over the Ganges. It seemed to be created by some sort of ashes furiously spinning on themselves...

16. offaxis
    Stop

wow - is it corporate bad taste week?

...this is up there with the newly-announced Jimi Hendrix commemorative Piano...

I kid you not:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/meet-the-jimi-hendrix-grand-piano-221720

17. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Re: wow - is it corporate bad taste week @offaxis

We will sell all your childhood memories back to you, and we will not rest until we have raped every precious piece of the past.

18. Jay Castle
    Megaphone

Why would anyone want a Gandhi pen anyway?

The man was a pompous arse who wouldn't allow his wife to be supplied with life-saving medication when ill, arguably causing her death and stated that it was "god's will".

And when he fell ill? "Gimme those damn pills doctor, this HURTS!"

"Buy this beautifully crafted pen with an 18-carat solid gold, rhodium-plated nib and a saffron-coloured mandarin garnet on the clip for a more than reasonble price, so that everyone who sees you sign anything will know that you, too, fail to have the courage of your convictions."

This topic is closed for new posts.