back to article Palm, Vodafone launch slinky Treo 500v

Palm and Vodafone have, as expected, just announced the Treo 500v, a 3G smartphone aimed at the YouTube and MySpace generation and which sports Palm's curvy new handset design in iPod-like white and black versions. Palm Treo 500v Palm's Treo 500v: iPod-inspired? The handset - codenamed 'Otto' - is based on Windows Mobile …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lewa

So cute!

I hope it's a PAYG one, or at least, it will be in the not too distant future.

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Good for button pushers?

So. No stylus.

Does it have a touch sensitive screen at all?

3. Rob Haswell

Keeps them afloat but...

I don't really have a problem with Palm making these crap devices because it'll keep them in business, but I desperately want a new PalmOS Treo as my 650 is well past its use-by date!

If it breaks I will probably cry.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too little, too late

No touch screen

No HSDPA

No GPS

No 3pm camera

Just like all the other WM6 Smartphones

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice :)

A 'Blackberry-Killer'-Killer then, i.e. the Nokia E61i, with a better OS, and looking less fugly. But, wait, what's this... one has to join Vodafone? Not so sure about the proposition... dataplans way to pricey.

6. Andrew Woodvine

When will there be a new Palm OS GSM device?

I echo Rob Haswell's comments. My 650 is showing its age now. Palm seem to have forgotten about their GSM users that are loyal to the Palm OS. The 680 is no upgrade for the 650 - the 680 has a different target audience.

They have only released CDMA versions of the 700p & 755p - why?!

They've been talking about a new Linux based Palm OS for what seems like forever, and now the best esitimates are that this won't be ready until next year :-( As long as my 650 keeps going though, I will wait...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Branching out a bit.

Really, this is something they're long overdue for. This isn't for the same user as their traditional Treo models. This is going after the the same market segment as the Q and Blackjack (and to an extent Blackberry). There's a lot of people out there who really don't care about a touchscreen, high-speed data, or PDA functionality. What they DO care about is messaging, and a QWERTY keyboard is a must. Along with it go a compact size and a low price.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like