back to article Altec Lansing Expressionist Plus v. Edifier E3350

With most computers bulging at the seams with music and video files, the days of making do with even a cheap set of active stereo speakers, let alone laptop offerings, are truly dead and buried. A decent 2.1 active speaker system will not only pay dividends when it comes to playing your music but can also provide bowel trembling …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hexx

better sound?

So you're basing your verdict on the amount of 'thunder' and 'bass and boom'? :)

2. Scott Mckenzie

Acoustic Energy Aego M

The only sub/sat system to buy for sensible money....

Sure it's more than the above ones but they have a genuine hifi esque sound to them and for the cost are unbeatable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GJEUNI?ie=UTF8&tag=spoavetstu-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B000GJEUNI

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

speaker review?

I only skimmed it, but I saw no mention of the diameter of the speaker cones.

What kind of speaker review tells you how big the "cabinets" are without mentioning the cones? And I use the term cabinets loosely, decent speaker cabinets are wooden, not plastic.

Without doing too much research into the matter, I am going to assume that these speakers, like all computer orientated 2.1 setups are merely 1.5 speakers in disguise. That is to say, two tweeters but only one woofer. Or as they optimistically call it, a "sub" woofer.

I'm sure they sound just dandy for the money, but they are obviously pitched at an audience to whom audio quality is a secondary concern. /2 cents yo

4. Dale Richards
    FAIL

@AC 9:46

Perhaps reading the article more thoroughly is in order, rather than just skimming it. Driver sizes are definitely mentioned.

That said, there's still no mention of the really important figures such as frequency range and response, THD and sensitivity/SPL output.

5. Allan 1
    Stop

@AC

The driver dimensions are quite clearly stated on page 2 of the review. Thats the problem with skimming and them basing your comments on assumptions.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@ Allan 1

No, those are not driver dimensions on page 2. They are the dimensions of their enclosures.

That's the problem with not knowing anything about speakers and them basing your comments on assumptions.

7. Dale Richards
    FAIL

Actually...

The driver dimensions are detailed on page 3.

Thats the problem with not reading the whole article and them basing your comments on assumptions.

8. Chris Cartledge
    Boffin

Electricity consumption?

Neither manufacturer gives any power consumption figure for standby or typical operating.conditions nor makes any claim for electrical efficiency. Both devices are externally powered which is often a sign that electricity use is not well managed. ..

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

well..

That's the problem with writing an article so that the important details are in the middle rather than at the start or the end.

10. Jay 2
    Megaphone

Take 2.1 speakers into the shower?

I was looking for some speakers at the end of last year. Due to space issues I had to discount mount of the 2.1 offerings (plus they all look bloody strange nowadays, esp the subs). In the end I went for some Bose Companion 2. Only 2 desktop speakers, but with enough thudding ability to keep me happy. I've had a Bose Wave Radio/CD for ages, so knew Bose's previous for getting a lot of sound out of not a lot of box(es).

This topic is closed for new posts.