back to article Google to blight smartphones with big ads

Larger, more annoying advertisements will soon be invading the web through your smartphone, courtesy Google's latest update to its AdSense business. The Mountain View Chocolate Factory said Monday it's letting mobile publishers conjure bigger ads to capitalize on the improved browsing capabilities of high-end smartphones. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neal 5

Good

Now I don't have to watch ITV. I can get all the crap I want on my mobile phone, with its 3.5 inch screen, and it's portable too.

Maybe one day I'll actually find a friend and be able to call them.

Maybe I'm eccentric, but if I want to take a photo, I use a camera, if I want to browse the web, I use a computer. As for GPS or maps,electronically, I use SatNav, because not only do I find that faffing around with a miniscule screen at 40mph in heavy traffic slightly distracting, it's also illegal, now I know that it's a rarity to find a law abiding citizen these days, but I already said I was eccentric.

Anyway, thanks to Google,Yahoo and Microsoft, with their incarnations of Ad sponsored email, I'm now moving back to snail mail, the reason being, nobody can afford that much paper to waste on spam

2. Gordon Pryra
    Thumb Up

Embiggening?

I will use this word at least 5 times today.

Thanks!!

3. Skrrp
    Happy

What are ads?

I haven't seen one on the Internet for years.

Thank goodness Android has an ad-blocker.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Just waiting...

...for some humourless cnut to complain about "embiggen".

...for adblock plugins for mobile browsers.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Can anyone tell me

..if Google ads make much money at all? I never click on advertisements anyway, but if I was going to start Google ads would not be my first choice.

GO because it begins with G.

6. The BigYin

How long...

...before you can run an AdBlocker on your mobile browser? Or is this possible now? (I don't use the mobile web, too slow and too damned expensive. £30pm for limited access? Sod off!)

These ads will just slow it down more (and cost you more for something you have already paid to access). Ad-blocking is the only way to cope these days.

Now if I could just block the ads on the telly....

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

arseholes

I suppose this means I'll be setting up adblocking on my smartphone too then. When will these corporate cock-jockeys get the idea that people hate pervasive advertising?

8. Head
    FAIL

What the...

Ad Blocker Plus for linux mobile?

9. Charles Manning

The clever ones

The clever advertisers will make their ads just the right size so that they are not too intrusive.

This removes restrictions so is surely a good thing.

10. Christoph
    WTF?

Have I got this right?

So we can now pay for a bigger, more capable phone and for more download bandwidth so as to receive just the same amount of content as before but with much bigger advertisements?

11. A J Stiles
    Go

@ The BigYin

"Now if I could just block the ads on the telly...."

Sky Plus, my friend.

Switch to the station you want to watch at the start of the programme and pause it. Go away and do something else for as long as all the advert breaks in the programme added together. Release the pause. You can now fast-forward through the adverts until you catch back up with live transmission.

12. Jim 65
    Pirate

Adblock FTW.

Ads? On teh intarwebz? Nope, haven't seen any of those for many years now.

Flashblock, AdBlockPlus, NoScript... And my internet is clean.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like