back to article 4 in 10 Brits feel lonely without a daily texting

Britons' self esteem is ruled by their mobile phones, according to a survey commissioned by a UK mobile phone comparison website. Right Mobile Phone said 3,138 people were recently polled across the nation about how mobile phones affect their emotions. Eighty per cent in the survey responded that not receiving a reply to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOL!

LMAO

2. Alex 0.1
    Thumb Up

Is it wrong that I...

..really did lol a bit while reading the last sentence?

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    FAIL

Another pointless, meaningless and ill represented "national" survey.

Excuse me while I completely ignore the results and get on with my life. I know El Reg likes a bit of tongue in cheek but this really is scraping the bottom of the barrel if it is to be considered as "news".

4. Asgard
    Stop

Lies, damned lies and statistics...

"Eighty per cent in the survey responded that not receiving a reply to a text message damages their mood, and 41 per cent said that without a daily texting they felt "unpopular and lonely"."

... and how many didn't bother responding at all to the survey?

If for example, it was only 10% of people who bothered to fill out the survey, then that would mean it was only 8% of people who get non-reply-text damaged moods, while only 4.1% of people would feel non-text "unpopular and lonely".

Meanwhile, 90% of people don't care.

But then the UK mobile phone comparison website also doesn't care about the figures, they are just happy for the attention this survey is bring their web site, which is the real reason for the survey.

Meanwhile, in a survey of surveys, 126% of surveys were found to be inaccurate.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

abbreviations

I always thought LOL stood for Lots of Love

6. frank ly
    Thumb Up

@AC 23:55 re. abbreviations

"I always thought LOL stood for Lots of Love"

It does :) .................. ( ROFLMAO )

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

damn

I'm surprised if I get a message every month or two - no wonder I'm so miserable.

@abbreviations yeah, I thought that in my early days of internetage fortunately I caught on quick/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PSF

Poor

Sad

F*cks

I selected the very large pure white space icon to represent the enormity of their loneliness and also to represent the enormity of their totally shallow existence.

9. E Haines

No LOL

I believe that part anyway, since those slack-jawed dweebs who use "lol" as punctuation should be permanently guffawing and earning many strange looks if their acronym usage was to be taken at face value.

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

I don't get it at all

The British sure love their texting.

Every time I visit the small island I hear beep beep - beep beep both day and night.

Enough already!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

In other news....

..........6 in 10 Brits have a life.

12. mrlumpy
    FAIL

lol

"I always thought LOL stood for Lots of Love" - So did my wife! Why did I try to explain what "All of your base now belong to us" meant when it was on the Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe the other night? I then had to try and explain memes which took me to lolcats then I just gave up and came out with "You just don't spend enough time on the internet" which is a rather sad indictment of me and how I spend my time.

13. Alan B
    FAIL

How sad can life be?

Anyone who feels lonely or unpopular because they don't receive texts or phone calls must lead very sad lives. Technology is supposed to enhance ife, not replace it.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

If a day goes by and I don't get a text I probably wouldn't notice until evening, if I noticed at all. But it'd be unusual.

However if I've texted a question and it isn't replied to, then I do get a bit put out. Sod you then, I'll go to the pub by myself with my paperback. Scowling out loud.

(Aye we have all heard the urban myth of the person texting condolences on the loss of a loved one, who thought ending with LOL was appropriate in the mistaken belief it meant "lots of love". Yeah right.)

15. Steve Foster

Abbreviations Meanings

tend to change depending on context. For example, in the bridge (duplicate/rubber/chicago) social world, LOL means Little Old Ladies (who often turn out to be more troublesome opponents than expected).

16. jake Silver badge

I still don't get the concept of "texting".

You've got a mobile telephone, right?

Make a fscking PHONE CALL!

If the luser at the other end doesn't want to talk to you, you'll be ignored like the luser that you are, regardless of whether it's voice or data ... and before you gripe about my comment, please note that you're the fucking luser who is afraid to actually TALK to the person you are trying to communicate with! Seriously, seek help ...

17. Nebulo

Mobile phones affect our emotions?

I was nearly run over by some cretin pavement cyclist sending a text message on the move a few days ago. I was going to say that they affect more than just emotions, but remembering the murderous rage I felt at the time ...

18. Paul Charters
    WTF?

Well..

Why do I have the feeling that the 'respondents' were likely to be aged 12-17, and largely female?

It's always my female or younger (or both) friends who look scandalised if I don't rush to read and respond to a text or answer the ringing phone.

Get over it, it's very simple - start living your life and not everyone elses'.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dear Jake

Pull your head out of your cavernous backside you cockwomble, not everyone is capable of having a phone conversation. I can't hear but I can talk, so a phone call would consist of me jabbering away without hearing what the other party was even saying. Not very productive.

Much like your brain I suspect.

20. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

@ AC 14:38 - "cockwomble"

Made me laugh out loud... I think... or was that it made me feel lots of love?

Oh fuc...

21. jake Silver badge

@AC 14:38

"not everyone is capable of having a phone conversation."

No shit, Sherlock. But do you use your TDD whilst driving/biking/cycling/walking? Do you have zero contact with real-life, real-world people, to the point where you actually get depressed when you spend a day without getting a text on your phone? And I'm sure you know what email is ... I'm sure you're also aware that your argument is a strawman, in that the vast majority of users don't fall into your category. I'm not arguing that texting should go away, just that it is being used inappropriately by the vast majority of users.

(Side note: Here at Chez jake we all use ASL on a regular basis, because the foreman's teenager daughter is deaf (congenital) ... It might sound odd to some people, but sometimes it's faster and easier to explain complex concepts to a couple of the field hands using ASL than it is using their bad English, and my worse (getting better, I hope!) Spanish. We're going to miss Kerry when she goes off to University next year ... but we will continue using ASL when it makes sense, for example in high noise environments (mowing, weed whacking, etc.).)

Nice silly ad hominem, made me smile. Do I have your permission to use it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like