back to article Windows Home Server upgrade recedes into the distance

Fans of Microsoft Home Server will have to wait a while longer for the next update of the much neglected OS. An update - Power Pack 3 - was expected to hit ahead of the release of Windows 7. A blog posting "on behalf of [digital supremo] Dave Berkowitz" notes that Microsoft was "proud to show off the Beta code of Power Pack 3 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

pay us to beta test for us!

... again.

save your money and test AND LEARN with linux, and get a thank you and a useful skill at the end.

.. rather than a half arsed product that you are not going to be able to use commercially or domestically (it seems).

2. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

Why Bother

Just use Red Had Linux and Amahi - all free, available now and less sucky than Windows.

3. soaklord
    Coat

Trolls

I am always amazed at how much trolling freetards do. The Windows Home Server product is actually quite good. I tried the linux route and found that it was not easy nor simple to set up a file share my wife could use easily. Configuring open VPN was a nightmare and never worked as advertised for me. And full backup of a machine wasn't a simple set and forget.

With the Windows Home Server, I get file level, cross drive duplication for redundancy, nightly backup of Windows and Mac machines, a full blown VPN (with Hamachi), a web facing login if I so desire, RDP to any machine in my network and folders that can span multiple drives. The OS may not have taken off huge, but there is a lot to recommend it and it is quite well thought out. And there are a number of people who have put together modifications for just about everything from serving up forums to using it as an exchange server.

As a NAS, the HP boxes have some of the best LAN performance around. (Check out smallnetbuilder for some speed comparisons).

I'll get my asbestos coat now, as I am sure I will be roasted for not knowing how to compile my own kernel from scratch then building an enterprise class server all by my lonesome. Don't get me wrong, I use Ubuntu on and off, I am enjoying Moblin at the moment, have played with everything from Red Hat to Fedora, etc. But as a set it and forget it box, the WHS rocks!

4. Andy 70
    Happy

i need a "do not feed the ubuntu troll" icon

i on the other hand have found it most handly.

- running squeezeserver to feed its stored MP3's around the house to

suitably equiped rooms,

- being a network store for my media centre's recorded TV,

- automagically managing my disks with online invisable data mirroring across drives, dependent on what i want to mirror.

- able to wake up, then wake up other machines on the network, back them up, put them back to sleep again, and goto sleep.

- has a preconfigured service to provide a website to the outside world for your users to access files on the homeserver, and connection permitting, to remote desktop over the web onto it's console and or other connected machines on its network.

- being a NAS device that can actually get 40+MB/s over gigabit network....

i could carry on. but i actually like to spend my time using the resources and devices i have at my disposal, rather than balls deep in kernal code trying to get the thing to give me a display or even basic network capabilities. never mind automated systems management.

so excuse me if i pass by the option of the black and white beaked one, to do all that homeserver provides.

5. Daniel 1

"The world does not seem to have turned on to Home Server"

Well, yeah. That's because they called it "Home Server". If they'd called it "Home Media Hub", or "Home Entertainment Store" it might have been different. The problem is that Microsoft's senior management is full of geek-wannabes, who really don't understand all that much about computers, but want to pretend that they do (so that they can bully their employees with a clear conscience). They cannot imagine anything sexier than having your own server... even though they're not too sure what you'd actually do with one.

In the real world, even system administrators (who work with servers all day long) wouldn't want to own up to having a "Home Server".

They might as well have called it "Home Mainframe" or "Home Card Indexing System" (stick a big flash on the retail box, saying "Migrate all your AS/400 code to Mircosoft(R) Home Server, using RPG.NET(TM) Runtime Limited Silver Home Starter Edition - Now with full support for Crystal Reports!").

6. deegee
    Pint

WHS is fine

Typical freetard comments were expected on this one...

@jeremey 3 11:46

@Bilgepipe 12:04

That was so fanboi that it isn't even worth reading... total nonsense.

I looked at Amahi, and like almost everything else Linux, it's 80% done and too many hassles for non-techies to bother with. Plus Amahi has the typical freetard attitude on their web site which does nothing but turn many people off.

@Daniel 1 13:08

I don't feel there is anything wrong with the name. I have Home Server on my home network strictly for a file server (much of the WHS toys are off or bypassed). I have also recommended WHS to other SOHOs.

7. b166er

Simple really

No email server = fail

8. Goat Jam
    Joke

"Fans of Microsoft Home Server"

Oh, just buy him an ice cream and he'll be happy. For a while.

9. deegee
    WTF?

@b166er 22:19 "Simple Really"

"No email server = fail"

Even simpler than saying it fails would be to just install an email server, no?

SmarterMail: top-quality mail server, excellent Windows Server and WHS integration, no-cost (free) for 10 mailbox on single domain. Includes language packs, dictionaries, anti-spam, anti-virus, a very good webmail interface, etc. etc.

I have been using it myself for over a year and really like it.

http://www.smartertools.com/

10. MacGyver
    FAIL

Even more simple..

Um, it's a server, but cannot run software RAID 5, and only a propriety version of RAID 1. Tries to kill any USB harddrive you plug into it. And has no head (monitor) support.

If they gave it Expandable Software RAID 5, and told the hardware companies to give it an HDMI output from an ION based video card, threw on a nice media player App on it. I would buy one and use it as server, and an always ready media player, until then, I'll just laugh whenever one of my friends complain about theirs.

Do the math: 1tb+1tb+1tb+tb=(2tb)=RAID1, or, 1tb+1tb+1tb+tb=(3tb)=RAID5

"Well, what's it doing? I don't know, I can't remote into it. And if I turn it off, it might lose some of my stuff."

11. scoob101
    WTF?

Hang on a minute...

If you want a monitor on a WHS - then you can have one. Its only Sever 2003 with some mods, for gods sake.

WHS Treats my USB drives just fine, thanks for asking.

WHS doesn`t officially support any type of RAID set, although some run raid 1 on the system drive. Drive Extender tries to solve a different problem in a different way. You can`t really compare.

And if you want to run applications on it, then you`ve quite mad.

Its not rocket science mate.

And for the record, my whs has never locked up in 18 months. Only time it breaks is when I break it ;-)

People who moan about WHS generally either don`t understand what it is, or are just trolling.

12. ukOli

When we will get WHS with built-in Media Centre

This is a good product, but just won't get me excited until Microsoft produces a home server/media centre combination.

13. Jeremy Allison

Try a Linux based NAS

Rather than trying to set up Ubuntu or Red Hat Fedora by hand, try just buying a Linux based NAS such ReadyNAS, or even one of the HP MediaVault based servers. There's a lot of different brands to chose from and you won't have to set up a Samba share by hand on any of them.

Jeremy.

14. Jeremy Allison
    Linux

Or if you don't want to pay..

Download the OpenFiler distro from www.openfiler.com, or the FreeNAS build from www.freenas.org. Again, an easy web based setup on your choice of hardware. There's really no excuse for complaining that Linux or FreeBSD home storage is hard to set up.

Jeremy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like