back to article Apple shovels admin iPhoneware onto PCs

Apple shot itself in its Software Update foot - again - by briefly offering an enterprise-level utility through its Windows update service. Apple has since pulled the errant and thoroughly unnecessary software from the updater, but its brief inclusion left many - including The Reg - scratching their heads in puzzlement. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Offshoring Strikes Again?

That would be my guess.

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Jobs Halo

Followers do not listen to these heretics!

Apple are good!

Apple are great!

Steve is the saviiour! All other's shall perish in their ignorance!

I want to give the Reverend Moon...sorry...Jobs, all my money!

Apple are good!

Apple are great!

The great leader's will shall be done!

Apple are good!

Apple are great!

..repeat ad infinitum....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But no backdoor

They can install software freely, ... erm.... but no backdoor, honest....

I made the mistake of buying an iPod Touch and my experience with it, was it only works with the latest iTunes and iTunes constantly upgrades and puts loads of shit on my computer that I don't want. This is just the latest.

Never again, I don't care how shiny the iPod is, I'm not fighting Apple for control of my PC.

They need to think carefully, Android is coming and todays shiny toy is tomorrows Walkman.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple?

Yeah just ate a green one. It was juice, refreshing and tasteful. Diden´t have any patches or bugs. No shiny white plastic or crappy software. Just like an apple should be.

5. Tony 28

It was an update for me...

I noticed that this utility was actually installed as part of iTune 9 on my PCs so I think perhaps it has been there for a few weeks for other people too but they are only just noticing it as part of this update.

6. Russian Monkey
    FAIL

Briefly?!

The whole briefly thing is just a lie.

It was up there for days for me. In fact I ignored it for about 2!

Downloaded it and it's quite a powerful utility.

Another Apple software update FAIL.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

well...

Since they insist on forcing Safari on me every time i try to upgrade, I'm not that surprised. I've been having a nightmare with Apple recently. My old 160Gb iPod died (second hardware failure in 18 months.. both hard drive failures. I wonder if thats why they stopped producing them for 18 months, and now they're back, they're on different drives..). Anyway, being out of Apple warranty and me not having kept the reciept, and as such unable to return it under the Sale of goods Act, I took the plunge and bought a brand new 160Gb one as soon as they were on sale. I hate iTunes, but iPods are very good music players.

Anyway, I got it home, plugged it in, and... iTunes 7 informed me that this iPod wouldn't sync with anything below iTunes 9. Ok, I thought, I hadn't upgraded iTunes becuase it was all working, why fix what isn't broken, and I hadn't wanted Genius. Still, I bit the bullet, and downloaded iTunes 9. Which promptly failed to install. The service which actually syncs the 'Pod crashed when it was run. Many forays to Apple support have failed to find the fix to the issue.

I'm running XP64, so I thought, since it's not an officially supported OS, that could be the problem, so I rammed the 30-day trial of Vista onto a spare partition, just to check. Same thing happens. I've had to resort to syncing it with a friend's computer, who did manage to get it running, just so that I don't have a very expensive but totally useless ornament at home, and I have somehting to listen to to block out the screams at work.

Why they insist on putting barriers up to everyone is beyond me. What is worse is that they haven't been distributing iTunes with iPods for years, you have to download it. Not shipping hardware with the software it needs to run is bad practice at best, and should be illegal, IMHO.

Sadly, I'm still stuck with not being able to sync, swince Apple seem unwilling to help me, or the other people having the same issue. I wonder if installing Safari, as they seem to almost demand I do, would mysteriously fix the problem...

8. Craig 12

I have it

It came with itunes 9 the day they announced it. I have no idea what it does, but I'm new to Apple and assumed I had no choice in Apple installing crap on my PC just so my phone works :(

9. Andrew Parsons
    Jobs Horns

Does it mess around with your aps?

That'll probably be the reason my iphone was acting weirdly this morning when I went to add some mp3s to it...

It suddenly asked me to validate my app store purchases, then promptly removed them from my phone. I'm not keen on stumping up money for apps I've already got.

On the otherhand, it could be an itunes9 problem.

Anyone else had any issues?

Is version 3.1 working ok now?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Biting it

Q: What's worse than discovering a worm once you've taken a bite out of your juicy apple?

A: Half a worm.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like