back to article Ellison: Sunacle is an IBM killer

Oracle CEO Larry Ellison plans to combine Sun Microsystems hardware - all of it - with Oracle software to take over the enterprise-computing world. "I would like us to be the successor to IBM," he told a business and technology forum Monday night in San José, California. But not today's IBM, he emphasized. "We want to be T.J …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. exit...quit...bye...quitbye.ctrl-C..ctrlX.ctrl-alt-X...aarrrr*slam*
    Megaphone

The more Larry shouts, the less I believe him.

Every other day Ellison brags how sucle is gonna rule the world, it gets a bit tedious.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Arrrrr!

So Sun's "a national treasure for the last couple of decades"?

Well we know what pirates did with their treasure...

3. Portent

Notable by its absence?

No mention of MySQL?

4. fifi
    Pirate

MySQL?

@Portent Beat me to it.

As MySQL features less and less in Sunacle press releases, I'm looking more and more at Drizzle.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comment on mysql

See http://www.reuters.com/article/wtUSInvestingNews/idCNN2127372920090922 for comment on MySQL, ...

" Ellison also said it would not be necessary for Oracle to divest Sun's MySQL database software business to satisfy European regulators who have expressed concerns about his company's ownership of the unit.

"We're not going to spin it off," Ellison said in response to a question during a dinner at one of Silicon Valley's most prominent speaker's forums, the Churchill Club.

'nuff said?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Correction - JAVACLE

or SUNWORCL

7. Crazy Operations Guy
    Thumb Down

Press Releases

Always the opposite of they really mean. What he is really saying is: "We screwed up buying Sun, but there is no turning back. We plan on killing off everything and slowly selling everything. We have no plans at all to keep the Hardware, we'll probably sell it all to Fujitsu or IBM. They software? Well, we'll cut support staff for it until it is only community supported and then we'll wash our hand of it. Oh and we will just move to becoming a services, no question about it"

What they really need to do is just bin the Sparc architecture, its about as dead the Itaniums. They really need to just create an entire architecture around SQL, processors with a limited instruction set, and OS that every other function has been scrapped except APIs for SQL, hell make the kernel accept SQL command natively. Make it simple to move existing databases to it and sell it cheaper per query than a standard machine (Even if selling at a loss) and I guarantee that they they will be rolling in the cash. They already have more than enough experience and people to make it happen. In today's market, niche products are ruling, be better at just one thing than the other guys n something critical and you'll have customers lining up to pay whatever price you put on it. It has worked for so long, Dells are a dime a dozen, Apple has the Style factor, Microsoft has its familiarity, and Sun had high-performance.

8. kit
    Stop

Kit

Its always easier saying than doing it . It all sounds like a sales rhetoric to me.

9. Pete 2 Silver badge

an IBM killer?

... only if they die laughing

could this be a ploy to talk up the value of the hardware business, as a prelude to selling it off - surely not!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sealed lips

I would imagine Larry's pretty limited in what he can say about MySQL, legally or otherwise, while the EU investigation proceeds. For that matter, both companies are still severely limited in what they can say about any future plans at all, until the deal closes.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Dennis 1

Nortel

Suprised he didn't buy Nortel while he was at it.

Could have had the end to end sewn up, beeting Cisco at their own game...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Give the lad credit!

Larry is a mouthy git, more hot air than a broken A/C on a midsummer afternoon, but you have give him credit, he almost always genuinely believes what he says...right up until the truth actually hits him like slap in the face!

14. ToddRundgren

Sunacle

Based upon the huge amount they paid for Sun, it seams like an extremely sensible idea to me. i.e Become a solutions company rathe than a tin shifter, et al Dell and HP

15. Basil Fernie

MySQL?

I don't think it has an Orasun.

16. David Halko
    Go

A very clear statement...

Ellison was adamant: "We are keeping everything. We're keeping tape. We're keeping storage. We're keeping x86 technology and SPARC technology - and we're going to increase the investment in it."

It sounds like Oracle is on it's way becoming a systems company - from the software, to the professional services, to the licenses, to the hardware, to the field engineers, to the maintenance.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

The math does not work Larry....we know better

"We think with the combination of Sun technology and Oracle technology we can succeed and beat IBM," he said, "That's our goal." "We are not going into the hardware business," he said, "We have no interest in the hardware business."

SPARC cannot survive and the volumes will not be enough to sell SPARC for only Oracle software.

Look at Exadata...I think they sold 20 in year 1. Now they shitcanned it for sun x86 in exadata2.

Who in their right mind would buy exadata 2 after the exadata1 failure.

My prediction:

Lay off 10K on day 1 then another 5K in six months

Increase Sun prices and maintenance 50% immediately

Increase prices on Fujitsu gear dramatically to force customers to buy T2

Play with MySQL to squash the threat to their core business

Jack up JAVA licenses to completely mess up SAP

Sell STK to EMC for a few shares of VMWare

try to morph into a company that got IBM in trouble in the 1990s

My favorite snakes are Viper and Cobra.........and it looks like the Coral snake might bite LJE in the ass.

18. ToddRundgren

Sunacle sounds like a good business to me

Nothing said here shows Ellison as wrong.

1. HW business is crap, e.g. HP and Dell = low margins

2. Orcale sw business = Vhigh margins

3. Oracle needs HW vendors less than they need Oracle

4. Sun HW, good database platforms

5. Databases need good storage I/O and backup, =Sun

6. Sunacle sounds like a good business!

19. ScottME
    Pirate

But will customers trust Oracle?

The bigger they get, the less popular they become. I can't see too many companies willingly choosing to put all all their IT eggs in Larry's basket. See for example http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_38/b4147052120632.htm

20. Jesper Frimann
    Big Brother

RE:A very clear statement...

The problems for Larry are many. Not least that it is a huge difference from being a Software company and being a HP/IBM.

But the biggest problem IMHO is that there are quite a few Oracle customers, including where I work who are pretty pissed by they way oracle have been jacking up the prices. these last years.

So basically if you think that the something like MYSql will have a chance in this licens factory, you might want to reconsider.

// Jesper

Bigbrother cause free speech is a thing of the past in Denmark

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oracle Fined

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/44130/118/

Oracle is a killer alright....in breaking rules....and charging 22% maintenance fees

22. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

SUN chi(m)p and Oracle

Mr. Ellison:

Your dream is based on the imaginary performance of a SUN chi(m)p and Oracle products. By the way, you just can't make up some TPC numbers there is a process that your company must follow.

Please stop promising empty bags to the consumers and start talking the reality.

It is good to have a dream - but not good to live in a dream world

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like