back to article China strengthens Great Firewall ahead of anniversary

The Chinese government has used its unrivalled net censorship apparatus to attack parts of the Tor network ahead of the 60th anniversary of communist rule, according to activists. The Tor Project Inc, the non-profit that oversees development of the network, said China's Great Firewall began blocking IP addresses on Friday. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tor encrypts?

Are you sure?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Not just China!

The TorProject website is blocked at my work as well...Mmmmm what's that whirring noise...

3. Chris Williams (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Tor encrypts?

"Are you sure?"

Yes. See here: https://www.torproject.org/overview.html.en

4. Joe 3
    Thumb Down

But surely...

...denying people of basic freedoms is a small price to pay for cheap electronic goods?

Let's all just look the other way and hope that slave labour never ends, eh?

5. Pablo
    Boffin

Re: Tor encrypts?

Everything but the last link between the "exit node" and destination website in encrypted. And that's not usually a problem for protecting your anonymity; nor when you're a Chinese dissident, since presumably that website is outside the country. It does mean you aren't 100% safe from eavesdroppers though. Of course you can use SSH encryption on top of Tor.

6. Long Fei
    Stop

Yah

It's sure getting harder to get through these days here in Beijing. I can confirm that the few proxy sites that are still working no longer function with certain web sites.

I've resorted to using VPN software, though how long that will last I don't know. This is my second one, as the first was blocked.

www.ChinarensBlog.com

7. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Paris Hilton

insert title here

As Pablo points out, TOR is secure (well as secure as anything cane be is this day and age) when the snooper can only see one end of the TOR, i.e. Big Brother China can only see people connecting to a TOR, however if teh snoop can see both ends of teh TOR then its not all that secure. Makse you wonder about the source of malware and hacking attacks on some sites.

Hmmmm... which icon to use, Black helicopters not really, Big Brother, possible they are watching you know, no... has to be...

Paris!!!! she knows how to snoop on an entry node.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like