back to article MMS (finally) comes to AppleT&T

AT&T has made good on its promise to bring the multimedia messaging service to the iPhone. The feature, which has been available since June for iPhone users on other networks, went live on Friday in the US, where AT&T is the sole authorized carrier for the device. That means US-based iPhone users will finally be able to embed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sly
    FAIL

they didn't make it by the end of the summer

false advertising. The class action lawsuit has grounds.

2. eugene

welcome....

Welcome to 2002, AT&T iPhone users!

I recall with a smile, when the iphone was younger, some apple fanatics claiming that apple left out the mms feature because they thought it should die... that everyone should email pics to each other instead. Awwww.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

and who cares

at&t are in America - again i reiterate, who cares

4. Cliff

MMS isnt even that useful!

The problem is that to send enough data to be useful, you need/are charged for multiple messages, and as the phones can all connect to t'web anyway, why not just email? Don't get me wrong, it's great that the world's most overrated phone users in one of the world's most technically capable countries are able to join in with their lesser-handsetted friends, but seriously, how many MMS messgaes do you send? Compared to how many SMS messages? I thought so.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

More than 5 years!

Actually, MMS has been with us as long as camera phones, well over 7 years. Orange launched their service for 2G users in 2002 and the I had both an Orange GD87 and a 3G NEC e606 on "3" with MMS in 2003. I think your right in that 2004 was the year just about everyone seemed to have it though.

It's funny though, MMS seems to have died off in the last year or so. The current trend seems to be to bluetooth pictures/video/music phone to phone - I suspect due to the MMS size limitations.

I wonder when the iPhone will get that ability?

6. DZ-Jay

Re: they didn't make it by the end of the summer

What? They missed the fall equinox by about 4 days, I'd give them a break.

-dZ.

7. My New Handle
    Flame

Welcome to a little bit of the 21st century America

How ridiculous that AT&T is only just allowing MMS on the iPhone. I don't suppose they saw it coming. It kind of took them by surprise. They've not bothered looking to see what other nations (nee the rest of planet Earth) were up to?

There is a lot to be said for not living in the centre of the known universe.

8. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

Apple .... always a reality check,

... and always at the back of the line (that's the reality check).

Apple, The Great iNOvator and thet goes for their partners too (in this case AT&T). But I 'spose that crApple and AT&T will now claim that they pioneered MMS, huh?

When will the Apple Kool Aid Drinkers come out of their fog?

9. Forename Surname
    Thumb Down

@ sly

Yeah, or you could, y'know, get a girlfriend. Or do something worthwhile with your life, you desperately sad git.

10. John 62

will the world actually notice?

I never set up MMS on my SE k750i and I don't think I ever missed out. Though before that I think someone did try to send an MMS to my Nokia 5510 (yeah, the 3330 with qwerty, 64MB flash and a music player).

As an O2 iPhone user I got MMS enabled a short while back, but still haven't felt the need to use it

11. Antidisestablishmentarianist
    Thumb Down

@Sly

Stoopid merkins and their 'I'll sue the f*ckers' culture.

That is all.

12. ZM
    FAIL

*sigh*

No, first gen iPhones don't count. And if that weren't enough, those using first gen iPhones don't even get the old "go to this link to view your message" text, either. At least, not for the past couple days. So, not only did AT&T's "promise" not deliver, but in fact also took the feature away from those users entirely (assuming it's just the network isn't busy and those notifications will start happening again soon).

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

American's pride

Most Americans assume their healthcare system is "the best in the world' whereas the rest of the world knows that it ranks in the low 30s on most indicators.

US telephony and mobile telephony in particular are similar, Americans think they are pretty cutting edge but for the rest of us they are barely above third-world standards.

14. James O'Brien
    Joke

Must remember

To send an MMS to a buddy of mine who has an iJesusphone with my Tilt asking how it feels to be part of the cool kids now. :)

15. snipe
    FAIL

Close but no cigar

Phone update went through today, but all of the MMS messages I (and others) have tried to send have failed. So, we still don't have MMS.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had to reboot my phone

I don't think it told me to, but I had to reboot my phone before I was able to send/receive MMS messages. It's about time I can stop getting those stupid texts with a URL to view the message.

17. Mike Echo

Mind boggling

I find it mind boggling that any mobile manufacturer could release to the public a phone minus a basic MMS feature in the first place.

18. windywoo
    Jobs Horns

Well it only took 3 generations of iPhone

And a special addition to your contract if you are in UK to get what most other phones have had for years. All hail the Mighty Apple, only they could get away with selling under-featured phones as innovative at extortionate prices.

19. Richard 102

Blame AT&T fot this one

I contracted with them back when they were called SBC. Useless and about as high-tech as a a Soviet record player. I think that they were using tomato cans and string in some backwards, third-worldish places like Arkansas, Louisiana, and Oakland.

20. magnetik
    Troll

@Keith Benicek

"When will the Apple Kool Aid Drinkers come out of their fog"

When will you stop trolling Apple articles and posting garbage?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like