back to article BT forgets to bill for internet access

BT has admitted that a glitch in its systems meant thousands of punters weren't billed for dial-up internet access and indirect international calls for three months last year. But don't worry. The telco is simply adding the outstanding amount to this April's bill. Calls made to 0844, 0845, and 0870 numbers between August and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Owens

Law

There should be an Ops Law which applies to both government and business in which a customer or member of public is not deemed to face excessive charging and stacked bills which may lead to bankruptcy and hardships.

The level of blame in the fault should determine how much the business or government must cancel out the debt. So your computers glitch 100% your fault, 100% lost money; if the customer found a way to get free calls or was keeping information from the org then it's over the other way. for big cases like this I'd like to see rulings.

All of this though must be mediated so that bills can not spike, even the tax system is designed to try and prevent tax spikes why can't the laws apply to businesses of services too?

2. John Sharp

Hmm, that style of charging seems familiar...

Is it just me that feels BT are giving stuff away for free then require paying later... That smacks of a different business model, but it could just be me.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. yeah, right.

Extending other delays?

I wonder if they'll also extend their other time limits, such as the time limit to contest fraudulent calls on your line? Or is getting billed after the time limit no excuse for not having complained about fraudulent calls within the time limit?

5. peter ashworth

0870 should be already illegal anyway, and BT should not be making any money from them

i understood that the 0870 premium rate numbers were going to be outlawed, and in my honest opinion, they should have NEVER BEEN ALLOWED

they are simply a way of mutlinational companies, and those who cxopy their dubious habits, to charge secretly (until you get your bill, that is) for their 'free' telephone advise/help/customner service, whatever they like to call it

it is immoral, and the sooner the expected ban comes into force the better

6. Franco Milazzo

SayNoTo0870.com

>>

i understood that the 0870 premium rate numbers were going to be outlawed, and in my honest opinion, they should have NEVER BEEN ALLOWED

<<

To find landline equivalents to 08xx numbers (e.g. 0845), go to www.SayNowTo0870.com.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like